Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Which model is my Kodak monitor? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Which model is my Kodak monitor? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikeguyver
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeguyver

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thank everyone who gave me tips on deodorizing my Kodak. Now I would like to determine which year and model is my Kodak monitor. The camera's top shutter speed is 1/200 sec and does not have a depth of field gauge on top on the right like the 1946 model has. At this moment I don't know what lens the Monitor have (camera is in another location). Your input is appreciated.

Mike

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 92

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You probably know this site:
http://www.cosmonet.org/camera/kodak_mn_e.htm

maybe it helps
Martin

Mikeguyver
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeguyver

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks I have been there. The camera have an Anastigmat lens (not the SPECIAL version) and no serial number to determine the manufactured date. It is not really important-just curious how old the camera is.

Mike

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 141

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think you can tell what year it is if it has the plain Anastigmat - there's no serial number to guide you and if it isn't coated, all I can say is prewar. I think they coated all Monitor lenses after the war, so that's the only way I know of telling the difference. I don't think the distance scale is a guide to age, I've seen them on prewar Monitors.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 45

Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will find that most post-war Monitors had shutters with flash sync. That's when flashbulbs got popular for photo hobbyists.

If the shutter is a No. 1 Kodamatic, the lens is a 103mm f/4.5 Kodak Anastigmat, and it's likely pre-war. If the shutter is a Flash Kodamatic, the lens is a 105mm f/4.5 Kodak Anastigmat, and the camera is definitely post-war.

Those are the "cheap" models of the Monitor. The much cheaper lenses were only used on the contemporaneous Vigilant models.

The "Special" lens on the expensive models used more exotic rare-earth glasses, and is probably a bit better, but both are very fine Tessar formula lenses.

Leehyori
Tinkerer
Username: Leehyori

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

don't think you can tell what year it is if it has the plain Anastigmat - there's no serial number to guide you and if it isn't coated, all I can say is prewar.
[url=http://creditimmobilierdefrance.org/][color=#FFFFFF][u]simulation taux banque credit immobilier de France[/u][/color][/url][color=#FFFFFF] - Credit immobilier de France, simulation credit immobilier. Résultat mitigé pour le crédit immobilier de France.[/color][url=http://creditimmobilierdefrance.org/][color=#FFFFFF][u]simulation taux banque credit immobilier de France[/u][/color][/url]

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 125

Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Around the lens there is usually a few odd letters. This is the date code.

Use this table to decode the letters:

C=1 A=2 M=3 E=4 R=5 O=6 S=7 I=8 T=9 Y=0

The lens usually has some odd letters on it like yter or ymes. That is the production code. So yter is 0945 (sept. 1945) and ymes = 0347 (March 1947).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration