Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Restoration and value of camera Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Restoration and value of camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevinc
Tinkerer
Username: Kevinc

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 01:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm thinking of fixing up the exterior of my old cameras. I'm not sure what the best way to do this but I'm thinking of patching up fallen black paint (using oil based or acrylic paint), and maybe buff up/smooth out chrome scratches. Will doing so devaluate the value of these cameras?

If so, maybe I should leave scratched paint spots and metal scratches alone?

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 109

Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 04:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you do go ahead, forget acrylic! I have just had a non-camera, harsh and very steep learning curve with the stuff. If everything is not perfect, it comes out C..P! A further point, you can put it on top of cellulose, but not vice-versa. As far as renovating goes, the least you can get away with, the better.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 610

Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin,

If you follow your original 'fix up' scheme, you will end up with a bloody awful mess - suitable only for the parts bin! A careful clean with a tooth brush to remove all the dirt and hand sweat, followed by a rub up with a good micro crystal wax will work wonders. A wooden cocktail stick is very useful if you need to remove crud from casting joint lines, screw heads etc.

I have used acrylic auto paints to completely refinish cameras bodies, lens barrels and accessories many times with complete success; however, refinishing is a completely different animal when compared to a little bit of 'tidying up' or 'sympathetic restoration'.

Kevinc
Tinkerer
Username: Kevinc

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok I gotcha, so basically it really depends on the jobs, but the rule of thumb that I'm getting is that anything I do to the exterior will most likely devaluate the camera. Little touch-up may be ok (polishing small scratches), but I should leave big jobs alone, like trying to stripping off paint then repaint.

On the other hand, fixing up the interior is almost always preferable (mirror damper, light seal) since that will make the camera more functional again. Maybe there are some weird exceptions (e.g. not that I have an original Leica "red curtain" if you do have one that leaks light, you should it alone).

Kevin

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 611

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just one 'rule' for my camera/optical collection - everything must function as it did when it left the factory. I only ever restore the cosmetic finish on duplicate examples of common models, or if I am building up a 'bitsa' for personal use.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 138

Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clean 'em, "wash" 'em, Q-Tip 'em, and if you aren't going to keep 'em, do some "magic marker art". :-) But never polish them.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration