Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning Minox chrome - how-to? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Cleaning Minox chrome - how-to? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 46

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Generally chrome is easy to clean but Minox has a matte chrome, especially on the film loading slide, that seems to absorb dirt. I have tried the usual lighter fluid, rubbing alcohol and soapy water but none of that does any good. What is the answer?

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 129

Posted on Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try bath cleaning cream, (in Britain called Jif or Cif), on a cotton tip. Don't use ones containing chlorine, they will be too aggressive.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer

Post Number: 47

Posted on Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not familiar with those exact name brands but get the idea. Will try it with the equivalent product on this side of the pond. Thank you.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 637

Posted on Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should be aware that 'matte' chrome is in fact porous, so be very careful when using household cleaning products. The chemistry of some 'chlorine free' products will cause damage to the substrate, unless you can really wash off the components. I will happily use a very aggressive household cleaner (Cillit Bang), to clean all types of chrome finishes on parts that I can rinse off in my ultrasonic bath. If it is impossible to rinse the parts in the bath, then I do not use this cleaner.

Many matte chrome parts look grubby because sweat and body oils have started to react will the metal substrate, this is especially so when the parts are made from brass. Parts made from plated steel just tend to rust pit, but matte plated brass reacts differently - when viewed under a high powered microscope the porous surface appears to be full of black corrosion products.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer

Post Number: 48

Posted on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That makes a lot of sense. I figured it was something like that but didn't understand the reason why. Thanks.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 134

Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A not-really-recommended fix would be to thin some silver paint and just "wash" it over that chrome with a Q-Tip then wipe it off. Do it over a few times until the silver gets absorbed into the dirty chrome. An alternate application method is dabbing with a sponge cut to the proper size if you want a heavier coat.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration