Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Restoration Benson Victor Street Camera Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Restoration Benson Victor Street Camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hrhwilson17
Tinkerer
Username: Hrhwilson17

Post Number: 19

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Photos attached of my latest restoration
As you can see it was a big job with repairs to the structure,hardware including the shutter assembly/and recovering.Before restorationAfter restoration

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 146

Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow. One honey of a restoration job. Did you replace any parts like the metal plate the shutter is mounted on? This is one of those street cameras for pic. in a minute street photographers?

Hrhwilson17
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I had to replace the mounting plate for the shutter assembly as it was too far gone with rust.Also I replaced all the camera screws as they were rusty and I had to drill and plug the screw holes.A locking clip for one of the latches was missing (not shown in the photo)so I made one.

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 35

Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Absolutely beautiful!

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 148

Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm interested in how you restored the side rails and what did you recover it with? Did you replate the rails? Did you use something from cameraleather.com or something from a reupholstery shop?

Hrhwilson17
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all the hardware including the side rails had to be cleaned with a brass wire disc because the nickle plating was in a bad way and the rust had caused some damage.Under the plating was brass so the fittings are now a polish brass finish.The original covering was not leather it was imitation leather material.If you are looking for this type of material check out your local bookbinder they have been using this material for years.Rear of camera photo includedBenson Victor

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 256

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 06:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't help feeling that Harry should have his own special section called "Necromancy" - that's more than just restoration, that's resurrection!

I remember my granny telling me about the street photographer who took photos of her in Dundee in about 1929, and I've always wondered about the camera. They're actually quite good quality - he must have set up somewhere with a nice background, and had a couple of props - so I wonder if the camera was something like this? I presume it's set up to develop a plate without ever taking it out of the camera?

Mind you, we also have some stamped "Walkig Pictures" on the back - and they are really rough quality!

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 124

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done Adrian. Or must we address you as ,'The Master', here after?

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 257

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nothing to do with me - all Harry's work down in Melbourne! But if he can do that, he deserves to be called The Master!

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 151

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never seen the inside of one of these. Does it actually have the little dishes (or whatever) for processing solutions in there, etc.?

Hrhwilson17
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Photos of the inside attached.The brass piece holds the positive paper(3 sizes)under this is a drawer used to store the paper.when the photo is taken the positive paper is dropped into a slot at the rear into the developing tank.This tank is accessable from the outside.I am missing the tank.Benson Victor insideBenson Victor inside

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 153

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The inside would be the most damaged area since it is where the wet stuff is. Why did you shorten the ledge under the brass disc?

Thanks for the pic.s.

Hrhwilson17
Tinkerer

Post Number: 23

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi yes the inside was bad and very smelly ,I didnt shorten the ledge, in the before picture it wasnt fixed it move in and out so in the after picture it has been fixed.The ledge is there as a cover for the small tray containing the positive paper

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 258

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 03:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah... Positive paper, of course, would explain the speed of the service - and probably why granny's pics are all on postcards. No doubt you could buy the stuff already cut and with the back printed for postal use.

Was there a seperate fixer tank as well, or am I ignorant of the niceties of using positive paper?

Hrhwilson17
Tinkerer

Post Number: 24

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The tank that was fitted to the rear bottom of the camera I think may have had two compartments
for the developing liquid.Perhaps someone may be able to confim this.I have not been able to find
much info on this camera.

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 36

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know just how the chemistry on these things worked, but my little Mandelette just had a single tank hanging out of the bottom.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 171

Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for sharing all that with us. I thought it was cool.

Foto_gaga
Tinkerer
Username: Foto_gaga

Post Number: 47

Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you begun on any new camera project yet?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration