Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Recovering Material Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Recovering Material « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 76

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a couple of Yashica 35 rangefinders that I'd like to experiment with recovering them. I'll use the old covering as a pattern, but I'm wondering, how should I cut the new material, with a sharp pair of sissors or an Xacto knife? Most likely I have to try a couple different materials to see which one fits best. Any suggestions?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 652

Posted on Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carefully remove the original covering, then stick it onto a piece of 1/16" card with double sided tape. Cut around the covering with an Xacto knife and steel rule, thus producing an accurate pattern. Cut the new material using the pattern, Xacto knife and steel rule. I always locate the pattern on the new material with 3 or 4 small pieces of double sided tape - you then only have to concentrate on positioning the rule on the edge of the pattern before you cut, and not worry about the pattern moving/slipping as you locate the rule.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 173

Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Xacto or single edge blade. Helps if you hold it in a frame like a paper easel so it doesn't move.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 146

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stick the material down with double sided tape so it doesn't move and use an xacto knife and a steel rule. You might also want to get a vernier caliper, some hole punches and some circle templates. Remember to measure half-a-dozen times before you start cutting and double check to make sure you have it oriented correctly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration