Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bonding Agent for Recovering Cameras Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Bonding Agent for Recovering Cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 77

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this question has been discussed previously, but here it goes again. I'm attempting to recover a couple of Yashica RFs, but I'm having a great problem finding the right bonding agent to adhere the vinyl to the metal camera body. I've tried several different ones, but so far none really fit the bill. Any suggestions. I don't want it to stick immediately as I have to move the vinyl around to fit properly, nor do I want a permanent bond. What recommendations can I try?

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 179

Posted on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

3M spray glue in a can or similar brand.

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 78

Posted on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do use the 3M spray, but I find that it doesn't always hold down the edges or corners. I wonder if there's an "industrial strength" spray glue? Do you think I should wait a couple of minutes after spraying before adhering or spray and place the covering while still wet?

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 95

Posted on Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Double sided tape, Shellac, Pliobond.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 130

Posted on Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used conventional contact adhesives with success on several cameras. Most give you sufficient time to 'tweak' the final fitting. They are also fairly cheap.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 131

Posted on Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used conventional contact adhesives with success on several cameras. Most give you sufficient time to 'tweak' the final fitting. They are also fairly cheap. Bostik All Purpose & UHU are two. They also give the advantage of poking a bit extra under any corners that don't want to stay put.

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 79

Posted on Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Double sided tape, shellac, Pliobond - all at the same time? Where does one get Pliobond?

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 51

Posted on Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pliobond is contact cement (also known as "nose glue". If you ever had a bad cold you will know why.).

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 96

Posted on Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, not all at the same time!
They are 3 alternatives that you can use. Some have had good results with thin double sided tape for block mounting photos. Shellac is an old way of doing things, but still works. Pliobond and double sided tape are available from Microtools is the US. If you live outside the US the freight on Pliobond will be prohibitively expensive. It's classed as flammable and has to be send via UPS. The tape is ok.
Cheers
Greg

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 80

Posted on Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Greg, and the rest of you as well. I have double sided tape and use it for cutting the patterns on the vinyl, but I wasn't sure it would hold the vinyl on the metal body indefinitely. I'm in the process of testing several different types of glue on scrap pieces of vinyl to see which holds best on metal. My thinking is, and I may try this method next, is to use spray adhesive on the vinyl while at the same time placing some glue along the edges of the camera body where the vinyl will butt up against, place the pattern on the body, tweak it to get it in proper alignment and then mask the edges down until the glue underneath bonds and drys. That may, it should work. It's worth a try anyway. Thanks fellas for all the input! Cheers!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 668

Posted on Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should remember that not all double sided tapes are suitable for this application, at the very least you should use a product manufactured for automotive applications. I note that you are applying a vinyl covering material, these tend to 'loose' plasticiser which migrates into the adhesive substrate of the tape, this can then cause an awful gooey mess. To prevent this always use tapes that a specifically formulated to attach vinyl products.

As for correct placement, just use the good old 'lick and spit' method. Peel back about 1" of backing paper and then wet the exposed adhesive layer, position the covering and adjust for best fit. Then press down and hold in position whilst carefully pulling off the rest of the backing paper - do this bit by bit, working the vinyl round the body. The moistened adhesive will quickly 'dry out' and produce a firm bond. If 'lick and spit' does not appeal, a couple of drops of washing up liquid in a cup of water works just as well!

Only use shellac when you are applying coverings cut from traditional leatherette (fabric base covered with embossed paper impregnated with nitrocellulose), not the modern plastic/vinyl based versions.

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think any rubber based adhesive would fit better. Shellac sticks well but dries hard and becomes brittle with age. Rubber based adhesives [latex or butyl] like Pliobond remain flexible for a long time. They are also easier to clean and reapply. One could use, too, the rubber solution meant for sealing bicycle tube punctures

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 197

Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another possibility is craft glue. This is similar to white glue, but remains flexible. It's meant for sticking fabric and various other things to each other, and it holds well but it's fairly easy to get off, which can be handy for a camera if you anticipate ever having to take the cover off again.

"Aleene's Tacky Glue," which you can find at craft stores like JoAnn Fabrics, is what I use for things like Nikon Photomic prisms, which must be peeled to reach the calibrating adjustments.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 174

Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thin double sided tape. If you glue, it makes someone else's life miserable when it has to be re-opened for service at a later time.

Smasher
Tinkerer
Username: Smasher

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK. Clearly it's two in the morning. I misread the subject line as Harlee looking for legal advice on how to subpoena somebody to return a couple of cameras to him. ("I know this question has been discussed previously, but here it goes again. I'm attempting to recover a couple of Yashica RFs, but I'm having a great problem finding the right bonding agent...")

I didn't realize this was such a widespread problem. If you're having trouble getting a bonding agent assigned to your case, check District Attorney's office for your county; they might be of help. You might also want to contact the Better Business Bureau, especially if these people have absconded with your Yashicas in the past.

("...to adhere the vinyl to the metal camera body.")

Oh. Never mind. This is a camera repair forum.

Time for bed.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 186

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahaha bonding agent.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration