Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Trading bellows Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Trading bellows « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 34

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seem to have no problen finding cheap polaroids.

What I want to know is?

Have any of you salvaged a good bellows off of one of these and cut it down or modified it to fit something like an Isolette or Ikonta?

I am about to jump into one and try to fix an otherwise worthless camera and perhaps end up with a $10 special. (I work for myself real cheap)

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 695

Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have shortened bellows with the correct width/height ratio by removing sections from the front and rear, but never done this on reclaimed polaroid bellows. I have also tried to reduce the width/height dimensions on salvaged bellows, but have never been happy enough with the results to actually fit them. In fact I find it far easier to fold up new bellows using patterns downloaded from the internet, try the following for starters:-

http://www.cyberbeach.net/~dbardell/bellows.html

Or do a Google search, using - Patterns, Camera Bellows, Making - as the search refs.

Sardines
Tinkerer
Username: Sardines

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Polaroid bellows usually are worn or beginning to wear on the edges and don't look original.

Good bellows replacements come from enlargers. Especially the 6x9 size. No doubt new replacement bellows can be bought from enlarger makers.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 699

Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If one wants to go down the new replacement route, there are a number of companies who will provide bespoke and off the shelf camera bellows.

Puderse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 35

Posted on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have purchased bellows from England and a repairman in Penna. The cost of these bellows far exceeds the value of the cameras I am working with. I think the gray Polaroid bellows would look good!

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 102

Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've thought about that, because polaroid bellows tend to be very robust, but have never gotten a camera that polaroid bellows would fit.

Puderse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 45

Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since they are 3 1/4 X 4 1/4 I thought they might work on a 6 X 9 Agfa that needs a bellows. By removing a row or two of pleats on the big end they might just work. Most Polaroids I find for a Dollar seem to have been used little, the roll-type film for them has not been around for a long time. The last one I got had lots of nice accessories that appear to have never been used and still had all their paperwork. Polaroid collectors probably don't need the cameras but I think the accessories are interesting.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 11

Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go for it. Forget the naysayers, as well as the (apparently) rich ones who tell you to just go buy new bellows or have them made ($$$$$).

Your concern for possible Polaroid collectors is noted, and I usually think about the consequences of destroying an otherwise collectible item when doing something like a bellowsectomy. But in this case, they are 1) very plentiful, not rare and 2) unusable in any case as the film is long out of production, so I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect.

For a buck, how can you go wrong?

Puderse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 47

Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The camera has had a bellowsectomy! Anyone need the accessories? Have PIX:will send

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 71

Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which model Polaroid was this?

Puderse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 48

Posted on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a polaroid 150. I bought it closed not knowing what it was but hoping for a 110! The camera is excellent and the accessories are cherry. The meter works and the accessories are interesting. Can't seem to get the pix file small enough to satisfy this board. No problem sending in E-Mail.

The close-up set is what my grand kids would call “DA BOMB” there are 3 lenses and a nifty tape measure that tells what lens or lens combination to use at what distance for what size image, all in a new looking leather case, with instructions in its original box. There is a leather case with 3 filters that snap over the lens with instructions and original box. The clip-on meter is still active and accurate. Hidden from the light of day all these years, the cell has not deteriorated. It too is in its original box with instructions. The self-timer is marked POLAROID but it is in a plastic case with instructions. There is a “Bounce flash bracket” MODEL 292. There is a POLAROID BC FLASH Model 281 with diffuser dated 1955, the year I was 7.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 28

Posted on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just one question, Sid (OK, well, 2 actually): how much did you pay for all that stuff? and where is the store you bought it at?

I may just have to come out to Texas to see what kinds of deals I can get there. (But I'll understand if you choose not to reveal this secret.)

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 72

Posted on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I have the 150 on a shelf with most of those accessories like the flash and 292 bracket (or did I throw that bracket away?). I would sell it if I believed anybody would actually buy it.

I thought the Polaroid bellows referred to were the gray ones from the 100, 200 series. Those always seem to frazzle along the edges.

Puderse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 49

Posted on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your right, this camera has a nice black bellows but I have some others with gray that I got cheap for their nice bellows. The problem I see and won't know the answer until I take it apart, is that the bellows seems rather big at the lens end. I know I can probably cut off some of the large end for 3 1/4 cameras.

I paid way too much for this because I also thought the accesseries were cool. I also failed to account for the postage and service fees from goodwill on line.

I would like to get rid of the accessories. Is there such an animal as a Polaroid collector?

Didden
Tinkerer
Username: Didden

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can get medium format replacement bellows at www.cameraoldies.com that are leather at a reasonable price.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration