Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need advise on how to proceed: Premo ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Need advise on how to proceed: Premo Jr. No. 1 Model B « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I recently acquired this chunk of history that must be around or close to be a century old. A Premo Jr. No 1 Model B. The body is not metal. I think it is heavy cardboard or wood. The back door is metal and the covering is loose.
What is the best way to clean it? The simple mechanism seems to work properly. I've "restored" (more cleanup that repair) other cameras before but nothing this old.
Any advise how to proceed?

Premo Jr. No. 1 Model B

Thanks,
Ismael

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I clean cameras like this with a mix of dish soap and water using a cotton rag. Rub it a bit to get the dirt off. After that sometimes use that white creamy leather conditioner they sell for shoes is good or clear (neutral) shoe polish.

The loose covering on the back door can be glued back with contact cement (pega contacto).

I think the face is held on with tiny nails. If you pull them out gently the face comes off so you can clean the viewfinder mirrors and glass.

Set the control to "B" and shoot the shutter so it stays open and you can clean the front of the lens with a Q-Tip. The back of the lens can be cleaned from the back of the camera.

I think it uses 120 film. Correct?

Ismaelg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot!
I'll carefully work on it using your recommendations. Any recommendations on how to deal with the rust in the back door? I'll clean it to see what is dirt and what is rust.
I think it uses 120 film packs but I'm not sure.
From Boxcameras.com I found this information:
"The Premo Junior No. 1 was a basic box camera which used the Film Pack system (sheet film, instead of roll film) to make 2¼ x 3¼ inch exposures"

Thanks!
Ismael

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 49

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ismael,
I usually use a product called BreakFree CLP on rust when I don't want to destroy any paint that may still be good. It's often sold for guns, but it's great for cleaning and preserving tools, etc, too. Just dampen a rag with it and scrub around on the rusty area. Even if it doesn't remove all the rust, it often looks much better.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, yes. The film pack. Forgot about that. I have one of those packs here some place.

I use 400 or 600 sandpaper to remove rust. After that, if you need to re-paint you can use a good quality magic marker (which may not be too permanent) or a bit of paint on a sponge and dabbed or patted on gently and sparingly. Magic marker leaves over-lap marks so it needs to be blended in with a wet thumb quickly after application. Lighter fluid removes mistakes.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 210

Posted on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you get this restored?

Ismaelg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Sorry for not replying before. I did my best effort and it looks much better.
If you don't mind the text in spanish, I did this post on a local forum showing before and after:
http://www.photoboricua.com/foro/showthread.php?t=2411
Text is in spanish but the pictures tell the story as well.
I went easy on the rust fearing I could do more damage than good.

Thanks,
Ismael

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 265

Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about anyone else, but I get a message telling me I need to log on...

Ismaelg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something is not right. Let me talk to the forum admin.

Ismaelg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for letting me know.
It should work now. Let me know if you still have problems accessing it.

Regards,
Ismael

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 266

Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it works for me now, thank you!

It looks much better!

Always amazes me how much wood was in these old Kodaks.

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 51

Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice, Ismael! As for the rust spots, I myself am sort of a "minimalist" when it comes to restoration... As you did here, I like to save any original paint, etc, whenever possible. One can always go ahead and do more if one desires, but it's difficult to come back and do less.
(I'm not quibbling though, with those who have dramatically and masterfully restored wonderful old cameras which otherwise appeared headed for the junk heap!)
Marty

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 216

Posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PhotoBoricua.com Aha.

(Why didn't they name it FotoBoricua?).

Did I understand correctly (reading your other post on that website) that the Pony 135 was found on a trash can?

What is your next restoration project?

Ismaelg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks!

Tom, (Why didn't they name it FotoBoricua?)
Good question. I'll ask them :-)

No, The Pony 135 was part of a "box of photographic junk" I bought on eBay for a few bucks. It included the Pony, a Starmatic, a disc camera and a Brownie Holiday. They were all very dirty but restorable. I paid like $10 for all.
I think next is a No. 2 Film Pack Hawk Eye. Very similar to the Premo Jr but all metal.
I'm working on an online "museum". I'll post a link later.

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration