Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lenses: how can I replace an old rub... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Lenses: how can I replace an old rubber focusing grip? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shrenaud
Tinkerer
Username: Shrenaud

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps someone in this group can suggest how to replace 30-year old rubber focusing grips. My old Nikkor 28mm F2.8 lens needs a new focusing grip. Nikon Canada no longer carries the part. Any suggestions?

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 226

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, option one is to buy a messed up zoom lens with a big focusing grip and use that. The rubber can be pried up on an edge and then rolled off like a sock. Cut to size and put on the good lens. If the diameters are different then cut out a thin segment. Contact cement glues it on if need be. Match the edges properly and nobody will ever notice.

Option two is replacement with a properly sized wrap of leather or vinyl. Sources of leather and vinyl are purses, wallets and binders if you don't simply buy it from Tandy Leather.

Shrenaud
Tinkerer
Username: Shrenaud

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Tom. I appreciate the suggestion. It's the best so far. Given all the fine older lenses out there - I'm surprised there isn't a replacement product readily on the market. I've emailed several repair shops with little to no success. They appear to have no replacement parts or ideas. It's a shame.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 178

Posted on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a neprin self stick light seal that makes a good grip material. If you need a strip, e-mail me your address with the width n length, I'll gladly send it to you.

[email protected]

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 21

Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you mean "neoprene"? Never heard of "neprin". (Sounds like some kind of drug ...)

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 180

Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hahahahah neoprene.

Sometimes I type so fast, everything comes out wrong. What can you expect form 2 fingers?

I see you got what I meant anyway.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 734

Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you find the right supply outlet - here in UK it will be 'Hoover' and Washing Machine repair shops - look at their catalogue of internally 'toothed' rubber drive belts. The belts needed are the solid rubber, non-reinforced type that are normally used in vac cleaners or similar low power drive situations. If you turn the correct diameter belt 'inside out' you will have a nice ridged circular grip. Depending on the width of the original grip, you may have to slip a number of belts onto the lens barrel, cutting the width down on the last one, if required, to completely fill the recess in the lens ring. If you choose the correct diameter you do not even have to use an adhesive. A combination of toothed and smooth belts produces a very OEM looking grip on a large tele or zoom lens.

I have used these belts to provide extra grip on some of my larger diameter lenses - cold weather and small aging hands are not conducive to a firm and secure feeling grip. Still shouldn't complain, I can still carry the buggers about and use them!

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 184

Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice solution, I like that grip style too. I'll see if I can find these.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 231

Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After reading that suggestion, I suddenly had the urge to customize a lens with a spiked dog collar like guard dogs wear. Impractical, for sure, but it would look cool. :-)

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 736

Posted on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do that on a 'long' lens, and in the present 'anti taking photographs in public places' police attitude prevalent here in the UK, you are likely not only loose your kit but a few years of your freedom also! I can just see the charge sheet - going equipped with a deadly weapon to commit the heinous crime of exposing silver halides to light in a public place, and God help you if there is anybody under the age of 21 in any of the images!

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 270

Posted on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You mean... like a goth version of (note - you may wish to don sunglasses, and viewers of a sensitive nature should look away NOW) this?

http://www.merrillphoto.com/galacollection/GalaF3b.jpg

(Marcy Merrill can be very funny, but she ain't coming anywhere near my cameras!)

Adrian

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 185

Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is great!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration