Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Gorilla Glue and Light seals Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Gorilla Glue and Light seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Uniqua97
Tinkerer
Username: Uniqua97

Post Number: 23

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI,

I generally use self adhesive foams or super glue when replacing the light seals.

Recentgly, I am thinking to switch to "gorilla glue".

Is it suitable for the job?

Thanks up front,

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 68

Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gorilla glue, as far as I know, is a polyuerathane (spelling?) adhesive. I have used similar products.
It has the advantage of bonding just about anything to anything, but I do know that some syrofoam products are not suitable for these types of glues (you would have to test it).
I think that this type of glue is a bit much for light seals. It is not the easiest substance to clean-up, so you would have to be very careful with it. Also, it expands as it cures, so if you put too much glue in one spot it may ooze out onto another surface.
Once it is dry, it becomes rock hard and can only be removed mechanically (scrapping or chipping). I wouldn't want to be the next person to have to replace light seals that have been glued with that stuff!
I'm sure it would work, but you would have to be very careful. I would look for a more forgiving adhesive.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 20

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Waynemel. In addition, it is moisture activated in that some moisture is required. On wood, lightly wiping one surface with a damp paper towel is enough, but I think its foaming/expansive characteristic would pose a real potential mess.

Honestly, I think it is the last adhesive I would consider for that application.

If you ever had to replace the seal again, you may need an air chisel or grinding wheels to get the old stuff out. :-)

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 126

Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used Gorilla glue for camera work, but would never use it for light seals, for the reasons specified above and because I would worry about it expanding into the seal material and making it rock hard and non-functional. I only use it for things like laminating wood to make lens boards, putting wooden pinhole camera bodies together and etcetera.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration