Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM-1. Changing leatherette with film ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » OM-1. Changing leatherette with film loaded « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Prest
Tinkerer
Username: Prest

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.
I've been wanting to change the leatherette of my OM-1 (which isn't the original black one, just a brown/dark red material that is "moderately slippy". Here lies the restoration) that is turning me crazy; for a more grippy, black, original looking material. Aki asahi's materials seem interesting to me, specially the #4020 or #4040. I'd like to hear opinions about the quality, "grippiness" and such, on Aki's materials.

Problem is that it's loaded with a roll of film (valuable Kodachrome). 2 of the 3 surfaces covered with leatherette seem to be safe (back and left side). But I'm worried about the right side (selftimer side) that seems to have some openings to the chassis hidden behind the leatherette. What worries me is that while I may change the leatherette, light might leak in and ruin the roll.

This roll is becoming a bit of a pain for me for finishing it (not wasting frames in anything, low volume shooter and slow speed film combination keep my photography frozen).

So, what do you think?

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 129

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finish the film, then recover the camera.

Yeah, I know, it sucks that you can't finish the roll fast enough. (I'm the same way.) But you'll be much sadder if you accidentally spoil the film.

Anyhow, you asked what I think. Good luck on the project, and please report your progress back here.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 78

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are looking for "grippiness" you might want to consider the Griptac covering from cameraleather.com Available in black or gray.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 171

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If slipping is a problem you might want to consider to improve the grip temporarely by putting some anti-slip patches on the old leatherette. I think there should be rubberized selfadhesive material which might be suitable. It will spoil the look of the camera for the moment but you can finish the roll and do the cosmetics later. When stripping the camera you maybe want to have a look at the light seals as well. So take your time and finish the roll first - the more as it is valuable film you have loaded.

Prest
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your advice. It's a very nice forum. I'd like to learn a bit the tech side of these mechanical wonders and be able to do well sized repairs in a future.
Then I'll wait until I can finish the roll. That will stretch until end of March; well, so I'll wait. Maybe I should order the leatherette kit a few weeks before holiday. And while I've got one of the calm afternoons, get to change it.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 748

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never found Aki Asahi's products or services wanting in any way - a very obliging person. I have used both the 4020 and 4040 materials and found the grip perfectly adequate.

Prest
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the kit has been on the way since monday.

Now, the kit still hasn't arrived, but there is a little issue with the hotshoe. I suppose posting this here without opening a new thread will be no problem
If you know, there are a pair of rubber parts in the hotshoe (one with Olympus and the other with Japan marked) [http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/gowoodard/hotshoe1c.jpg] ant they have detached. What kind of glue will work well?

Now, another question, is there a way to keep the shoe attached in a safer/tighter way? Sometimes it gets loose and could fall to get lost (happened me once in the garden). A bit of nail polish? I thought, because the shutter soft release users often recommend it as a neat solution.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 777

Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nail varnish or any weak thread locking compound will work; however, you should note that the threaded parts actually form the electrical connection, as well as the physical attachment. You will have to ensure that whatever you use does not act as an electrical insulator - the smallest drop of thread lock on the last thread nearest the unthreaded part of the stud should be OK.

Farside
Tinkerer
Username: Farside

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's so simple to unload the film.
Just rewind it until you feel the leader come off the take-up spool. On the OM1 it's quite obvious and I've done it many times. When you re-load the film fire the first two (or however many) with the lens cap on and miss an extra one, then shoot as normal.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration