Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Restore black paint of leather case Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Restore black paint of leather case « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kkl122002
Tinkerer
Username: Kkl122002

Post Number: 71

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a black leather case lost its colour after using 75% alcohol for cleaning mistakenly. There are many white areas of the cleaning marks. Can someone tell me how to restore the blank paint?

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 258

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.fiebing.com/Dyes.aspx

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 196

Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Black liquid shoe polish.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 152

Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe; I'd say proceed with caution here.

I say this because I recently tried to restore the black leatherette case to my Pentax K1000 where the outer layer was actually flaking off in many places, leaving behind the white material underneath. Very ugly. So I used a black marking pen I had around. Now I knew that this particular marker had ink that took a loooong time to dry, so I let the case sit for a week, then went over it with alcohol (denatured alcohol/methanol) to remove the excess residue. Unfornately, handling the case still left my hands with black marks.

Leather dye actually sounds like the better bet here, as it's made for leather (if indeed the case is leather and not imitation leather) and actually dries. Shoe polish, while very good for things like bellows, can sometimes leave behind enough undried residue to stain one's hands. So I'd experiment first on something else.

I've pretty much given up on my case, by the way. I tried using another black marking pen, but the extent of the flaking is so great that it's a losing battle. Time for a new case.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 197

Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem with marking pens is the ink is not actually black, it has a bluish purple sheen, dead give away of a bad DIY job.

The liquid shoe polish doesn't leave any residue that comes off after drying, it's wax that gets buffed n has a nice matt finish. Also it can be used on leatherete as well as real leather.

Now if your leather is peeling and in real bad shape, replace it instead of reviving a dead horse.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 275

Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neb.: It is impossible to repair those "white fiber under fake vinyl" cases from Pentax. The only thing you can do is toss them when they get like that.

Msteen1314
Tinkerer
Username: Msteen1314

Post Number: 45

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For small flaking repairs, especially on the small straps on the case that go around the camera to strap anchour points I've had success by doing the following:

1. Remove all the flaking vinyl, leaving the whitish fluffy material.

2. Use a small paint brush to cover the area with a flexible glue (that dries clear). This is to bond the fibers..2 thin coats recommended.

3. Use a permanent black marker to colour area. This will dry to a not too attractive black/blue.

4. Two more thin coats of glue to seal the marker and restore the colour to what is more suitable to the camera.

This works great on small areas. Larger areas have not been attempted as yet.

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 94

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd probably go with the black leather dye. Of course I've done a lot of dumb things in my life, but I don't see how this would go wrong...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration