Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Restoring flexible rubber "leatherett... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Restoring flexible rubber "leatherette" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Philacamera
Tinkerer
Username: Philacamera

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 04:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought an Olympus OM-PC which seems to be in great shape except that the rubber grips are badly chalked/faded, though they do not look to be otherwise decomposed. It seems very much like the soft rubber grips one finds on more modern zoom lenses. Any thoughts on restoring flexible rubber to it's original black appearance?
I know there are some automotive products out there that claim to blacken old tires, but wanted to see if there was any other way....

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 273

Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 06:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happens to Minolta Maxxums all the time. Simple fix is to "wash" it with a bit of soap and water to remove all the "hand dirt" that may be on it and, then, grease it. Any sort of oily stuff will re-blacken the rubber. Then wipe off the excess and it is fine.

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 48

Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds like the "bloom" that I have seen on my Minoltas. Sometimes this bloom is caused by the curing system used in the rubber or by wax used as a processing aid in processing the rubber or maybe a little of both. This is most commonly seen on EPDM type of rubber parts.I have used lighter fluid to remove it, but expect it to come back in a few months or years.

Philacamera
Tinkerer
Username: Philacamera

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the great tip. I tried it out, and it worked beautifully!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration