Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to spruce up leather and chrome t... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » How to spruce up leather and chrome top on Canon FTb and AE-1 Program « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 76

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have these two cameras, Canon FTb and AE-1P, that I would like to spruce up a bit. Over the last several weeks I have worked on them now and then to fix numerous problems and they both appear to be working great now (tons of thanks to many posters here who helped in this!), and now I would like make them look good as well.

Regarding the leather covering, or the leatherette, as it is sometimes called, I have tried a tiny bit of shoe polish with a toothbrush on the AE-1P's and it appears to have worked. My question is, is this a good method to use? Or are they any better off the shelf products that I can use (not too expensive please)?

I am also concerned about the dust that usually accumulates in corners on the leather. How to remove that? Or should I just polish over it?

And how do I polish and/or protect the chrome top? In the FTb, the chrome top is metallic, but the AE-1P has a plastic one (not sure what it is exactly through). What is the usually good way to deal with these two kinds of tops?

Thanks.

Agno3
Tinkerer
Username: Agno3

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only issue I have with shoe polish is that it will rub off onto your hands. After all, it is a wax. Shoe dyes work well, but you'll have to test it on the AE-1 since that covering is synthetic.

As for the chrome, I have used Hoppes No 9 powder solvent with great success. (It's a gun cleaner) It leaves no residue in the engravings and removes even stubborn grime with a Q-tip and some elbow grease.

Q-tips are what I use to remove the dust on the edges of the leather as well. No solvent, just a touch of moisture.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 84

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried the shoe polish option several weeks ago on AE-1 Program using an old toothbrush. Used little polish. Afterwards I buffed it with a rag so that there wouldn't be any left to stick to hands and clothes during use. Seems to have worked so far.

But now you tell me the leatherette on AE-1 Program is synthetic. So now I am not sure where I stand :-(

I am going to give Q-tips a try, moistened with water, as you suggest.

Thanks.

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 55

Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the color on the leatherette or Vinyl is good and black then you could use clear wax polish or Simoniz that is used on cars to shine. If the leatherette is discoloring and you want to restore the black then try Black Nail Polish. It dries fast and takes waxing. It is also flexible and does not cake or crumble. I have restored a few 40 to 50 year old cameras this way.

Gyurmi
Tinkerer
Username: Gyurmi

Post Number: 9

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For camera tops (and bottoms) like the FTb I use two methods, depending on how dirty they are. For both methods, I remove these parts for cleaning. 1.) detergent, toothbrush, and water. 2.) Metal polish (Autosol, Sidol, etc.), Q-tips and/or tissue paper or piece of cloth. With the polish one should not rub, otherwise the surface will end up too shiny. Simply wipe on, wipe off. Also, go gentle in the areas where the logo, etc. are. So far this worked for me the best. Can also be used for the dreaded black spots on the film rail. (Here some rubbing might be needed.)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration