Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Movie camera restoration anyone? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Movie camera restoration anyone? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 296

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if anyone here restores/repairs movie cameras? I don't recall seeing much, if any, messages about the subject.

Karl
Tinkerer
Username: Karl

Post Number: 63

Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 06:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have an answer for Tom but it would be interesting to read posts on movie cameras.I have my fathers Canon Auto Zoom 318M and a Quarz DS8-3 Zoom.I have used the Canon which is a super 8,but I have not used the Quarz which I believe is what is called a double 8 (16mm film run through the camera twice and then split down the middle to make 8mm)

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 66

Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd suppose most of us don't restore or repair movie cameras because the supply of 16 and 8mm amateur cameras pretty much outstrips the demand. Not much point in fixing one when there are working ones available reasonably cheap. They are fun and interesting though. I've accumulated a number of 16mm examples from the 20's along with the projectors that go with them, and they make a fun display in an upstairs hallway. The only 8mm that I actively sought out was the Kodak model 20 camera and projector since it was the first one of that size. I've got a Pathex pair too, even though they weren't too popular here in the states, just because that projector looked so cool. I DID fix that one, by turning down the expanded pot metal flywheel so that it would turn freely again. :-) I WISH I could find a Cine Kodak Model A that I could afford... My only 35 mm example is an Acme Portable Projector about the size of a large suitcase that I sat on an antique store floor for an hour or so back in 1969 agonizing over before I broke down and spent my 5 dollars.
Hmmm... Not much of value in this post, but I had fun rambling. This hobby doesn't HAVE to be expensive.

Foto_gaga
Tinkerer
Username: Foto_gaga

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon 8mm also that doesn't work.

I recall a time when I was a kid and had a Bolex 8 (think it was the 8B or 8C?). The instruction manual said not to change the speed while filming so, curious to see what would happen as well as to see if it was true, I changed the speed while it was running. Well, it made a sort of chunking sound and quit. :-) :-) :-) It seemed sort of disappointing that that was all that happened and also that there was no way to get it working again.

Yes, I do have a few movie cameras but only ones that look odd. I had a Kodak A (16mm with hand crank motor) once but sold it. Had a Stewart Warner 16 ages ago but sold it and am looking for another since it does have a snazzy art deco type design on the side.

By the way, does anyone know anything about the Arriflex 16?

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 218

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I used an Arriflex 16SR, but that's the only one I know - loading magazines and setting up shots. It's not the same as the Arriflex 16 or 16BL.

I still have my B&H Filmo 70DL I used for MOS exteriors, but sold the lenses I used with it. Should still work, since it was overhauled before use. For a spring-driven camera, it was remarkably steady. Then again, that was over 15 years ago, so I wouldn't rely too much on it.

I think I still have my autofocus Canon AF 310 XL-S, and that one is pristine, it only had three rolls go through it. Strange little camera I got for practically nothing.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 300

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, yes, even when film was the only thing existing, movie cameras seemed to sell only 1/3rd as many as still cameras. But, still, I thought people here were the "I want to open it up and see how it works" type even when not going to produce a profit from their tinkering. :-)

Karl: Never heard of a Quarz but it sounds interesting.

I'm guessing there will soon be huge piles of movie camera bodies laying around since the trend today is to remove the lenses and use them via adapters on digital dslrs.

Karl
Tinkerer
Username: Karl

Post Number: 64

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom: Interesting but very heavy,it's built like a tank and I think the clockwork motor makes it even heavier. Impressive though.If you feel you need to know more just google, zenit quarz.

Socket
Tinkerer
Username: Socket

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, January 06, 2012 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, everybody

Here's another ciné repairist.
I have some experience in Paillard-Bolex, Eumig, Beaulieu, Revere, and other apparel.

Glad I've found this site

Love to share information and more.

S.

Socket
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A view of the governor brake from the Beaulieu R 16 I am disassembling at the moment

Governor Beaulieu Reflex 16

Fredtheoyster
Tinkerer
Username: Fredtheoyster

Post Number: 19

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably resurrecting an old thread, but yes, I do restore and repair movie cameras. The majority are the small double-8 clockwork ones. Last week was the first for a while - I had to replace the frame counter drive on a Bell & Howell-Gaumont Sportster. Had to replace the shaft from a similar camera as there was a tooth missing from a star gear. Nightmare job as it involved a pretty thorough disassembly to get at it. Reassembling the friction drive for the take-up on these things is a real three-hander. Would be happy to correspond with like-minded people. Best regards - Jim

Socket
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, July 30, 2012 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jim

I am close to purchasing a Ciné-Kodak Special because I want to learn about its construction in detail. I saw a picture of the mechanism the other day on a forum somewhere and ever since I need to find out why there is an inclined hole in one of the drive shaft bearings AT THE BOTTOM.

Filmfilmer
Tinkerer
Username: Filmfilmer

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2012 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Socket - I posted a link to some photos on the Cinematography forum and am working on a "Special" now - always liked these cameras - maybe since I saw Gregory Peck use one in "The Snows of Kilimanjaro". Gregory Peck with Cine Special
I am still looking for a repair manual. I ordered the military manual from "Nikon Dave" on ebay but it never arrived and he still has my money. Looking for another source. I would like some Kodak information on setting the governor.
Steve

Eqsmallcakes
Tinkerer
Username: Eqsmallcakes

Posted on Friday, March 29, 2013 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everybody... I am reviving this old thread on the basis of some personal research I've been into lately.

I have an antique 35mm movie camera, Japanese-military made from WW2. The camera is driven by a large tensioned spring that is wound up prior to filming. Included in the manual is a comprehensive section on oiling. The manual clearly identifies which bits need oil and when to oil them, however, aside from expressing the importance of using an oil that "will not solidify over time," there is no indication as to what kind of oil came with the camera originally.

Can any of you suggest an appropriate synthetic lubricating oil for an antique 35mm film movie camera of this vintage? I've looked into Nye, Moebius, etc., however there are so many varieties and weights and they all seem largely for use in clocks and watches.

Any experience/advice to share? I don't want to oil the camera until I have some reliable suggestions on what to use first.

Thanks!

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 281

Posted on Friday, March 29, 2013 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think you're going to be able to find information specific to the camera without knowledge of what sort of construction it has. Spring drive doesn't say enough, really. If it's similar to an Bell and Howell Eyemo, it probably uses similar lubricants to that. If it's like one of the other spring driven prewar 35mm cameras such as a DeVry, it may use other lubricants.

However, I bet you can find a synthetic oil which will meet the camera's needs pretty easily. The viscosity is what's most necessary to know. A shame I never had cause to oil an Eyemo, I only used one that had been serviced.

Eqsmallcakes
Tinkerer
Username: Eqsmallcakes

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, March 29, 2013 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the response. If it helps, I can identify the six oil port locations and to what parts of the camera they go:

There are two oil holes at the base of the lens assembly that lubricate the film advance mechanism.

There is an oil hole on the side of the shutter, which flows to the shutter shaft.

There is an oil hole below the front cover of the dark box that flows to the governor shaft.

There is an oil hole for the bearing of the large sprocket that drives the film through the dark box.

There is an oil hole below this that goes to the worm gear used for turning the above sprocket.

The final oil hole is on the side of the power unit (the big spring chamber), that flows to the worm gear in the power mechanism.

I agree, I'm certain the synthetic oil for the job is out there, I'm just out to lunch on what the appropriate weight would be for the job?

Arfd
Tinkerer
Username: Arfd

Post Number: 21

Posted on Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm working on that firm favorite of the 1970's, Canon 312XL-S. The zoom needs cleaning but gaining access isn't straightforward. I'd be interested in hearing of experience the forum has with Canon cine models.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration