Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Foam seals - this old curse again Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Foam seals - this old curse again « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gyurmi
Tinkerer
Username: Gyurmi

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think everyone at this forum has been through the unhappy encounter with the sticky gunk found in the mirror housing and the back of old SLRs and also in some MF roll film holders. Here is another, less likely place, where the damn thing spreads its venom. (Mostly, this will be of interest to Canon collectors.)

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~gpauka/foto/Restoration/DeadlyFoam/index.html

Do you use foam in your restoration work? If so what sort?
(I'm more and more inclined to substitute it with fabric - wool yarn or felt. Earlier I bought some foam from Micro-Tools, but now I'm steering away from that, too. Not only because of the price...)

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 232

Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That one's actually pretty well known around here. It's not the only brand with the problem, but seems to be the most affected.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 218

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Olumpus OM1s have the same foam problems over the prisms. Shame they didn't have the forsight to see the future.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 18

Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a similar problem with an old Canon FP, the foam eats away the silvering on either side of the pentaprism. If you clean it off down to the bare glass you can improve matters a little - thanks to total internal reflection?

It's easy to complain about them using foam, but these cameras are 50 years old - I guess the makers couldn't have known the foam would do this, and would have been surprised if they knew we would still be using them after half a century. It's amazing they still work at all, and often replacing the foam is not a difficult job.
Would you use a car with 50 year old tyres?

Gyurmi
Tinkerer
Username: Gyurmi

Post Number: 15

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 06:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That 'fix' is an interesting proposition. I must admit, I didn't dare to clean it off thinking that it would make matters worse. But, once you do that, could you perhaps use some silver paint and black paint over it? Did anyone try?

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried putting silver foil over the patches, but it made no difference. Silver paint might be better. I think these pentaprisms rely on total internal reflection to reflect the light, the silvering just improves things slightly. When the silvering is removed, the plain glass still reflects the light but the edges can be seen.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration