Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need advice on restoring Kodak Browni... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Need advice on restoring Kodak Brownie cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ospreywife
Tinkerer
Username: Ospreywife

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love to collect old cameras and I recently got a few that needs some small TLC. They are all Kodak Brownies but different models, Target six-16, #2 F (red), 2A model C, and a 2C model A. Each needs different things done to do to make it look better so I am hoping y'all can help me! :-)
Target - silver metal needs some shine, has some rust but that is hopeless right?
#2 F - Leather needs cleaning badly as well as lenses
2A - Leather needs cleaning as well, leather strap needs help, and the metal black frame around the front needs paint
2C - needs the most help! Leather needs cleaning really bad, lenses are horribly dirty, metal needs shine, again rust??, also if you know whee I can get a handle that would be awesome! The inside needs help also, cleaning/rust...whats cool though is it still had film in it!

So any tips/advice to help my cameras would be awesome!! Thank you in advance!!

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 101

Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most dirt can be cleaned off with a bit of soapy water, a rag and a few Q-Tips.

For metal rust I use metal polish. If it is minor surface rust I sandpaper it off with #600 sandpaper but that would leave some scratching or matting on the surface and the surface on the Target is, on some, painted with clear shellac. Don't use polish on shutter faces.

Leather cleans with those creamy white leather cleaning lotions found at shoe care shops (got mine at Walmart). If the leather is too bad off, like coming apart, this won't work. Afterwards, you could improve the color, if it needs it, with shoe dye like Fiebings (they have a website) then you might want to use clear shoe polish. If the leather is clean/shiny enough after cleaning then don't bother with all the extra stuff.

Lenses clean with regular water, lens cleaner or spit.

The #2A you remove the lens/shutter (ring holds it on. Open back and spin off the ring.) and, if possible to do without damage, detach the bellows then you can pull off the metal (front standard) thingy and strip/repaint it.

If you like glitz, remove the front lens (they unscrew off) and polish off the coloring to reveal beatiful shiny brass. Looks great. :-)

Ospreywife
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much!!!

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 304

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 06:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a Flickr group called Box Camera Revolution, and there are some links in their discussion to sites with manuals on for taking various box cameras apart (I posted some, but foolishly didn't keep the links). They will help with things like cleaning the viewfinder mirrors.

Good luck - sounds like a nice collection!

Ospreywife
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh great thank you!!!
I'm obsessed with Kodak Brownie cameras :-)

Foto_gaga
Tinkerer
Username: Foto_gaga

Post Number: 18

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All of these are box cameras? Some sound like folding cameras.

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 54

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Took a few days off recently just to putter around my workbench. Rehabilitated a very old "Lawyers Bookcase" for cameras and put some of my box brownies, especially those that take 120, back into service. Very serviceable viewfinder mirrors can be make by cutting up front surface mirrors from 50 cent polaroid cameras. Shutter re-hab a piece of cake. Shoe dye and Kiwi good for leather and fake leather coverings.

Ospreywife
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes all are box :-)
Thanks for the tips on mirrors!

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 102

Posted on Friday, June 25, 2010 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I thought some of these were folding cameras so ignore the last two bits of advice I gave as they don't apply to box cameras.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration