Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Covering Cameras With Other Stuff... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Covering Cameras With Other Stuff... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Magkelly
Tinkerer
Username: Magkelly

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone ever tried covering a camera with something other than camera leatherette or leather? Just curious. I was looking in the fabric store and I got to wondering if it has to be real camera leather or leatherette.

Queenie is in fine shape (My beautiful near pristine SPII.) but I'm going to have to redo my Goodwill Spottie sooner or later anyway. It's in terrible shape over all. I don't think I'd feel too guilty experimenting with that one. I'm wondering if the type of material used matters in any way though other than as to cosmetics.

They do have some very interesting faux leather and tapestries, including this really gorgeous silver and pewter textured pseudo leather, and I must admit I'm really tempted to pick a nice thin one, make a pattern and go for it!

Does thickness and type of fabric used affect the camera function in any way or is it just a question of looks?

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 103

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the material is too thick it will not be flush with the rest of the camera and, eventually, the edges will lift or curl.

I thought of covering a camera in denim once. Still thinking about it.

The other day I got a new box of checks and the plastic check holder booklet thing seemed perfect to trim and recover a camera. Black fake leather look. Decided to keep using the old booklet (blue) and tossed the new one in the parts box. :-)

Dcluley
Tinkerer
Username: Dcluley

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 02:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few years ago I put together an Argus C-3 out of the parts box, and covered the front with textured paper used for miniture diaoramas to create the "Brick Brick"! :-)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v601/dcluley/?action=view&current=brickbrick.j pg

Dan Cluley

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 800

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bloody hell, shades of Tracey Emin beginning to creep in here I think! I await the outcome with interest/baited breath.

Edward8
Tinkerer
Username: Edward8

Post Number: 37

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bloody hell's right, Glenn!

Where will it end? If a camera has a fast and loose lens, should it be clad in black lingerie?

Sorry!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 801

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that does conjure up some lewd thoughts!

Magkelly
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 03:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I am an artist of sorts, and I do work with fabric and textured papers as well as traditional paints sometimes, but the Tracey Emin comparison, nah, I don't think so, her work just doesn't appeal to me too much, lol.

I like metallic snakeskin idea. What I'm seeing locally looks about the right thickness, it is fake which I'd prefer, and I think done right it could be fun.

What I saw looks something like this. This isn't a great example but it's close.

http://www.mjtrends.com/products.Alien-Skin,Snakeskin,Fabric

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 106

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've re-covered a few cameras and think it is a fun way to bring new life to an old piece of equipment. I have had success with vinyl leatherettes (see pictures) and have found that if the material is a little too thick, it can be sanded down(within reason) at the edges to make them flush with the camera edges.
I am currently looking for something to cover a Konica TC-4, maybe in a red.
minolta xg-7
Contax 139Q
Yashica fx-7

Magkelly
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's nice! I like those, particularly with the brown and black.

Donyet
Tinkerer
Username: Donyet

Post Number: 39

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That Minolta looks quite nice.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 109

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the compliments.
The brown vinyl material came from an old duffle bag. It the brown parts have a velvet like feel.

Norman
Tinkerer
Username: Norman

Post Number: 32

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I asked my local vamp. She gave her old leather trousers. The have a nice tactile feel on my Nikon F!

Bobehud
Tinkerer
Username: Bobehud

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have masking tape time and the desire to make my XD-11 one of a kind.All the black is going to be touched up with automotive brush style nick repair paint.Now what type of adhesive would be good for the covering..?

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 144

Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used contact cement for the covering. I know some people think this is not a good idea, because it is difficlut to remove. I have not had a problem. The cement I use remains flexible and the covering can be removed later if necessary.
If you are concerned, apply the cement to one surface only. This should result in a non-permanent bond.
I also have some double sided tape that I am going to try on my next project.

Barryjyoung
Tinkerer
Username: Barryjyoung

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Barge's cement when I recover cameras and binoculars. It is incredible. This stuff is used for repairing shoes, cop holsters, tents and anything else.. It is far better than anything else I have tried including Weldwood contact edhesive.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 24

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My last two cameras I have re-covered, I have used double sided tape. It works great! I made sure to buy good quality tape. Time will tell how well it sticks, but it was very easy to work with.
Konica T4 in red leather

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 48

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, I love the 'BrickBrick'. What scale was the textured paper?

One idea I have is to get a whole lot of them, and put them in a brick wall. I'm sure someone has done that though. So plan B is to take a really nice photo of one, and have it made into wallpaper looking like a mortared brick wall.

PF

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 49

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Faux ostrich skin is one I have seen.

PF

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 241

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice work on hte red camera. I've seen some amazing recoverings but be sure to consider later repairs if you need to get to screws n things.

3m makes an exterior double sided tape for auto trim. It holds great, doesn't creep in heat like the cheap hobby store stuff and is removable if you need to peel it later.

Dcluley
Tinkerer
Username: Dcluley

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly the brick paper was with the military models so most likely 1/35th scale. Possibly made by Tamiya?

Dan Cluley

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 55

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Dan.

PF

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 148

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did a Kodak retina once in giant cane toad -- unconventional, but that's leather.

Edward8
Tinkerer

Post Number: 52

Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fallisphoto

I like the idea! To lob for a job with an array of cane-toad cameras hanging from the scrawny neck appeals to me. Brilliant!

Edward

Edward8
Tinkerer

Post Number: 53

Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fallisphoto,

... however. I suspect cane-toad cameras would not be completely understood by clients lacking imagination, or a sense of fun. Indeed, they would probably tend to look askance, possibly bewildered.

I have no wish to pour chilled water on your excellent idea - it has considerable merit - but simply wish to point out that it might, in the full flush of time, prove just a wee bit difficult to implement, in a commercial sense.

Covering a wedding - or anything else, for that matter - with a cane toad is probably not a good corporate look. Brides can be flighty, easily scared, if you get the point?

In my experience, a Nikon F2 with full, energetic drive, made 'em quite flushed and nervous. I respectfully suggest that a cane-toad camera might flip 'em right over the top.

+++

Edward

Magkelly
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking at pics of the little beasts I think I rather like the skin of the cane toad still on the cane toads, laugh. I don't mind faux leathers or even a bit of real cow leather. I still eat cow meat, figure why waste the rest, right? But I don't like the idea of animals just being slaughtered to provide a skin for my camera. Fancy leather like reptile skin they're pretty easy to fake now, like the fancy furs. I'll definitely take the fakes, I think.

I'm actually thinking hard about blinging out my *ist a bit. I'm heading for SF on a business trip Tuesday. One of my teachers there sent me a plane ticket and gave me a place to stay and that so I could come out there and do some work for him. I'm going to help out in the studio and get some lesson time in too while I am there.

I just might stop by this place I know where they'll bling just about anything in Austrian crystals. I don't mean to cover it, but I do have a nice, discreet design in mind, something completely appropriate for my first Pentax DSLR.

I'm not too sure it's possible to put crystals on a working camera though, to make them stick. I have to ask, but if I go for it I'll post pics when I get home, grin. I think you guys will like this, even though it's not a vintage camera per se.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 225

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Magkelly,
there are iron-on crystals by Swarovski but I fear that's problematic with a plastic camera body but there are definetly ways to glue them on as well.
Regards from Austria
Martin

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 226

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Magkelly,
forgot to mention: You will need some with a flat back and mirror coating on the back otherwise the colour of the camera body (or the glue) will be seen through the crystal. Those coatings are very delicate (like an SLR mirror) and should be available in different colours and in silver.
Martin

Edward8
Tinkerer

Post Number: 54

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Magkelly

In these desperate days of doom and gloom, thanks for the laugh.
+++
Cane-toad cameras, sprinkled with crystals. I want one.

Edward

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 29

Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.cameraleather.com/
Check it out, you can send in your camera also & they will recover it for a fee.
I also ran across another site, think it is in the UK, they redo older Leica cameras in a form of vulcanized material. But, I did not note the web address, sorry, but they are out there if interested look & am sure you'll find them.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 216

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Magkelly,

In many of the places they have been introduced, giant cane toads are looked upon as an invasive pest; they are prolific breeders, will consume anything that wiggles and that they can fit into their mouths, and they do quite a lot of environmental damage. Many countries/states are desperately trying to exterminate them before they get buried under an avalanche of toads. http://www.couriermail.com.au/life/outabout/fifi-the-giant-cane-toad-to-headline -queensland-eradication-education-program/story-e6frer76-1225961158561 If some guy has found a use for the thousands of dead toads, skinning them for leather instead of just letting them rot, I applaud that.

Denverdad
Tinkerer
Username: Denverdad

Post Number: 12

Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a Meteor that I re-skinned with a brown vinyl faux-leather material cut from a portfolio binder cover: Meteor, front

At first I was going to use a thinner, more paper-like material to replace the original covering (which frankly is rather cheap and crappy to begin with!). But this much thicker material - about 1.4mm - conveniently comes out almost perfectly flush with the top and bottom pieces, giving it what I think is a smoother and and more sleek appearance. The tacky and slightly spongy grip also lends a much warmer feel to the camera overall, helping to tone down that "tin can" vibe that it had.

Here is the view from the rear: Meteor, rear

It occurs to me that these Meteors are really great cameras to play with if you want a sort of "blank canvas" on which to test out different covering ideas.

Jeff

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 237

Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a more recent Retina IIa did in black leather with just a touch of gray cane toad for accent (Retina bumps are for sissies; this one has WARTS): http://fallisphoto.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=240#/d1ug8ny Here's a "Blue II" I did in an Atlantic Blue composite leather I bought on ebay: http://fallisphoto.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4m5ej7

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 204

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a couple of thoughts if you decide to use a fabric. I'm thinking that contact cement, which I prefer to use to reattach camera leatherettes, might bleed through fabric and show from the exterior. An adhesive that will work just as well, but that's much less likely to bleed through is an aerosol adhesive made by 3M. I've used it to replace vinyl motorcycle seats and it has worked very well for this and other applications I've used it for. It's very tacky and remains pliable after drying, same as contact cement.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 245

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2012 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that you mention all these coverings it reminded me of the Clarus MS35 camera. in the instruction manual it says "Covered in war proven Redolite." Has anybody ever heard of Redolite?

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 309

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found two mentions of Redolite which seem to fit.
One is from a 1944 Chase Velmo Upholstery ad and the second one is from the "Catalog of Copyright Entries 1947 Commercial Prints and Labels Jan-Dec 3D Ser Vol 1 Pt 11B" the entry there says:
Quote:
"Redolite, Goodall's famous plastic coated
fabric now available in 23 new colors.
(Ad 3136) (Upholstery materials)
© 21May47; KK13246.
End quote

So Redolite seems to be a plastic coated fabric upholstery material. I can only speculate about it's consistency but from the above I can imagine it to some kind of faux leather used e.g. for chairs etc. that needed to be cleaned easily by wiping them off. It's primary use as upholstery material and therefore a mass produced material used in larger quentities made it certainly a cost effective camera cover material.

But besides the two sources mentioned the rest is speculation by me.
Sources:
http://www.amazon.com/Upholstery-Coated-Draperies-Statler-Birthday/dp/B005TM9ZBO

http://ia700705.us.archive.org/31/items/catalogofcopyrig311lib/catalogofcopyrig3 11lib.pdf
It's on page 30, center column, third entry from above.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 284

Posted on Friday, November 16, 2012 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have occasionally thought of using those sheets of very thin cedar wood that come wrapped around cigars in tubes, but I never quite got up the nerve to do it. It might look good stained dark on something like an Argus C3. Maybe one day.

Premoutshine
Tinkerer
Username: Premoutshine

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before I used to cover the camera with camera leatherette or leather but nowadays I normally don't do that (may be because of laziness). I place in a clean and safe place.

Some major problem am gonna face?? Am a newbie camera user.....

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 310

Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Premoutshine,
Be sure you have about twice as much as you think you will need before you begin, so you are not stopped if you make a mistake (you probably will make at least one). If you have a thicker coverings than the original, you will usually need to cut it slightly larger. A good set of hole punches is nice to have and will save you a lot of headaches. Circle templates for cutting curves to fit around lens mounts are also good to have. You will need a six inch steel rule, for measuring. X-acto knives are a necessity, as well as scissors. Wood filler is handy for filling dips. Leather without adhesive backing is best used for curved surfaces (leatherette or stiff self-sticking leather won't mold to a curved surface).

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer
Username: Hi_country_flash

Post Number: 24

Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 03:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are a few I recovered in various exotic skins . I have done several more , a Grown Grafic in Alligator , a Yashica 124 in snakeskin and with a scratch built brass damaschined focus hood and a stainless steel back , also engine turned, plus others. Sorry about the quality of the pictures , the cameras are long down the road and all iI have is the pictures, no scanner so I had to retake the photos with a digital.---UGH! I got the materials from ladies purses found at thrift store , usually very cheap too! !Snakeskin 2princess model?gatoy again

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 322

Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does wrinkle black paint count? http://fallisphoto.deviantart.com/art/Pho-Tak-Time-Traveller-333645653?q=gallery %3Afallisphoto%2F22829669&qo=22

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh! I'm not sure some materials mix well with cameras! I appreciate the creativity, and I'm sure there's someone out there who just loves the combination, but I'm realizing I prefer more subdued camera coverings. It doesn't have to be the traditional black leatherette, but hot pink and gold plate just aren't my style.

Does that make me a curmudgeon?

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer

Post Number: 25

Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Barryjyoung -- I had forgotten about how good barge cement worked on recovering a camera. I am about ready to begin recovering some more and it had been so long ago that I did the ones in the pics posted that I had forgotten what I used.
Hollenbj hot pink ?? Where? And that's not gold plate --it is the brass with the paint stripped off.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 337

Posted on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love that wrinkle black paint - gives the camera a very solid look.

Martin

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 114

Posted on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, OK. No hot pink examples here on Classic Camera Repair, but I saw a couple recently. One on a website, the other at a camera store in a city north of me. I'm just not a hot pink kind of person, but I suppose I need to accept the diversity of tastes among the human population. Or not! Hot pink? Ikkk.

Perhaps I've mistaken polished brass for gold plate. But, I see a fair number of Russian fake Leicas and they make my hair stand on end. Those are supposed to be "gold plated", and maybe they're just polished brass. Either way, yuk.

Now, that's not to say I don't appreciate some creative camera coverings. I kind of like black wrinkle paint when used tastefully. Even wood veneers have a kind of charm. But hot pink and gold (or polished brass)? I'm trying...

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 82

Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is contagious, all of this, isn't it?
Reminds me of the juvenile game of refurbishing mobiles with exotic straps or simulated diamond stickers.
I once had one in bogus cherrywood decor.

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer

Post Number: 28

Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about this 124 GT, when I got it, all there was was the body and lens, and a few pieces of glass and mirror. NO rear door, NO top , I had to scratch all those parts out of Brass or Stainless steel, the advance handle is made from a sterling silver fork. It was either this or the junk pile --which would you prefer to do with it?

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 117

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, you certainly know how to work that brass! The snakeskin might not be my style, but the salvation of a nice camera certainly is. Very creative use of cutlery and all. Did you keep/get the meter working?

Some of the craftsmanship I encounter here is amazing.

I have a 124G with a sticky shutter. You're motivating me to dig it out for that "next project". I'm lucky though, all the parts are there...including the leatherette.

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer

Post Number: 29

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Yes the meter works . Here is another pic. of it , could not get it to load yesterday. Also here is a Crown Graflex I covered to salvage a really beat up mess of a Grapiic.It is Real Aligator.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 120

Posted on Friday, May 03, 2013 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know, for some reason, the alligator does have some appeal to me. Makes a nice looking Crown Graphic. I have one too, but I found one that was clearly unused, as new in its box, and offered at $5 in a secondhand store. The most guilt I've ever felt while making a purchase. Oh, and it came with a boxed 120 back for an extra $2. I rarely have that kind of luck. I might feel guilty, but now the camera has a loving home and sees the light of day and gets a little exercise from time to time.

Anyway, no need to cover it with alligator, or anything else. But, I do have an Argus C3 that needs a new skin... I'm motivated to try something a little different this time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration