Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Glue for a frontplate Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Glue for a frontplate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lpig
Tinkerer
Username: Lpig

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 05:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a proud user of CV lenses on my leica M6 and CL. I've bought a second-hand 15mm f4.5 screw mount. A great lens, but came without the front faceplate, the ring where is printed "VOIGTLANDER SUPER WIDE-HELIAR 15mm F4.5 ASPHERICAL". I noticed only 4 little signs of glue around the glass, so I think the faceplate was simply lost...

I was able to find a replacement, thanks to the coutesy of a friendly seller in Singapore. The plate was unfinished and I used paint-stik tools for perfect white and red engravings.

So, the problem is this: how to glue the nameplate? It may be removable (just in case of repair) but I do not want to miss it again. What kind of glue?

Regards.
marcello (Italy)

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 802

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

3/4 spots of a clear contact adhesive is what was originally used. Here in UK I use Bostik or UHU for this purpose, I guess that the German UHU product should be available in all EU countries - comes in small yellow tube and allows easy removal of name ring by gentle prying if required.

The 15mm/f4.5 Heliar is a very nice lens for the price, mine gives superb results and I hope you find yours does the same.

Lpig
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 03:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks Glenn
Yellow tube UHU is available here, no problem to get it. But what about 4 drops of "silicone" or very small pieces of thin bi-adhesive tape?

Really a good lens, also without name ring!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 805

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 04:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Keep off the silicone - some release acetic acid during curing. If the double sided tape will 'fill' the gap between ring and front of barrel then give it a try. I have found some thin foam based double sided adhesive strips made by 'Selotape', these are black/greyish in colour and are meant for external use - found at a builders/DIY merchant - I find these very useful in this situation and cut small discs using one of those leather punches that uses small tubular punches, you just push the disk out of the die using a cocktail stick. As an alternative you can use a number of layers of your original double sided tap - just build up the thickness untill you get good lasting adhesion.

Lpig
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bostik did a good work.
Thanks Glenn for your useful informations.

Regards

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration