Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica electro 35 strap sticky Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Yashica electro 35 strap sticky « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 251

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The strap of my Yashica Electro 35 appears to be a bit sticky. I am not sure if it is leather or something synthetic. It has a chrome clip like thing that locks the loop in the strap (used to adjust the length) and has slits that end with holes on each end. The ends of the strap go through the camera lugs and the holes are secured on plastic stubs.

Anybody know if the strap can salvaged somehow?

Thanks.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 829

Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The strap could be leather with a synthetic finish or completely synthetic, either way the rot is terminal. Keep the item away from other plastic/synthetic finished leathers as it could damage the surface finishes.

Sometimes wiping over with naphtha or alcohol can remove the stickiness for a while, but it soon comes back as the degradation/aging continues.

Do not store synthetics from this era in plastic bags or sealed containers as this seems to accelerate the problem. Somewhere on the web there is a very useful site that explores the degradation routes of these 'early' plastic finishes, unfortunately I cannot lay my hands on it at this moment in time.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 252

Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the information. I will discard that strap now.

Regards.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration