Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Please Help - Specific Light-Sealing ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Please Help - Specific Light-Sealing brush wanted « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John13554z
Tinkerer
Username: John13554z

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear All,

Does anyone know where I can buy the brush-like light and dust seal in this photograph? I’ve tried Microtools.com and they have nothing, all I can find anywhere is foam or velvet – this is neither, this is similar to what’s used to seal a 135 cassette (35mm roll), I suspect that it may be called ‘flocking’, but I’m unsure.

I’d be very grateful if anyone can offer any suggestions for where I can find a strip of this specific material.

Many Thanks

John

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 314

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Given that that has to be a large-format camera, have you tried S K Grimes?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 834

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Depends on where you are situated but I use good quality velvet ribbon to replace the seals in plate holders, film backs and the like. When stuck to a double sided carpet tape it can be cut down to any width if required. Any proper needle craft store should have various widths in stock.

You can also get self adhesive flocking in various sized sheets. It is mostly sold for lining the mirror boxes of Soviet medium format SLR bodies, but I think Jon Goodman supplied me with my small stock - Look in the articles section for Jon's article on light seals and contact him.

Janierik
Tinkerer
Username: Janierik

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
This exact type of seal is difficult to find. I am not sure, but I would call it plush.. at least one type of plush fabric. Modern plush is often made of artificial materials and not with a heavy fabric backing like the old ones you can find in cameras older then 1940's. And very often the hair is not long enough in velvet to properly do the job. I know they make this kind of plush in some parts of the world, but so far I have not found a good source. I bought mine from a friend who had a very old stock of red plush that exactly matches that of my cameras.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 249

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Upolsrty material may be a good source of heavy plush fabric to check.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 904

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If pile depth and gauge of warp threads in the backing are a major concern, find a supplier of heavy weight cotton velvet curtain material and purchase an off cut of the nearest colour match.

My stock of cotton velvet ribbons came from an old upholstery shop nearly forty years ago, but you can still buy a similar velvet fabric in the UK today. Only trouble - it is only woven in 'broad loom' and not available in ribbon form any more.

John13554b
Tinkerer
Username: John13554b

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 05:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear All,

This is John13554. I forgot my login details and e-mail for my original account, so I’ll be using the username John13554B from now on.

Unfortunately I’ve had no luck finding the specific light seal that I was after, I’ve investigated all the suggestions posted but the only option that remained was to compromise by using closed-cell foam, I don’t know if it has worked yet because I’m waiting for a sunny day to test it.

By the way, my camera is a Wista DX Rosewood, when I bought it new in London it was not sufficiently light sealed resulting in fogging. I took it back to the shop but after they tested it themselves they wouldn’t acknowledge a fault with the camera, and as I then attempted to modify the camera myself I couldn’t return it under the Sale of Goods Act – big mistake! Also, Wista didn’t respond to my e-mails, and technically they don’t have to do anything because by law it’s the distributor’s responsibility (which was the shop!). At this point, you might be thinking to yourself “well maybe this guy [me] is wrong and the camera is fine, only he’s made some kind of mistake” – wrong! After 11 years practicing photography, 6 of which were spent formally studying the subject, I know what I’m doing. It’s as if there’s a strip of light seal missing from the back of the camera, as Wista won’t respond and the shop doesn’t see anything wrong with it, I have no way of confirming this – I don’t know anyone with the same camera – please let me know if any of you do.

I didn’t really come on here to write this, I’ve kind of wandered off topic here. I just wanted to post this message to say thank you very much to everyone for your time and energy – I appreciate you posts.

If any of you are ever in need of advise/help with any photographic subject, then don’t hesitate to ask. Most of my technical experience involves 35mm, Large format, flashguns, Canon, Sigma, Adobe, EPSON, Metz, Kodak, Lowepro, Slik and more.

Thanks again.

Yours Faithfully

John

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 979

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The plush seals on these cameras respond well to a good brushing with a tooth brush - get the fabric pile raised and the seal is perfectly good.

Having said that, this type of seal is very simple to redo using modern plush fabrics or tapes. The trick is to cut a thin strip of card that fits into the seal slot and has a width that allows one to fold over the fabric on each long edge, but allows said constructed seal to be pushed into the slot.

eg. - For a 1/2' wide seal cut a strip of fabric 1" wide and then a piece of card a fraction less than 1'2' that has a layer of double sided tape on both sides. Place the card strip onto the reverse of the fabric strip, turn the whole over and fold each free edge of the fabric onto the tape on the reverse of the card. Cut to length, mitre the ends if required and then push into the slot.

Over the years I have made many feet of seals by the above method as I make and repair hardwood film and plate holders.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration