Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Liquid chrome? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Liquid chrome? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eugennmezei
Tinkerer
Username: Eugennmezei

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Olympus 35-S has light wear on the chrome of the top plate and very havy wear until the copper under the chrome. It is only an esthetic aspect but I'm wondering if something like chrome in liquid form is avaible. So I could apply it like a paint but it forms a metallic coating or at least one that looks like metal.

Flybye
Tinkerer
Username: Flybye

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you considered powder coating? I haven't tried it myself, but I know that chrome like finishes do exist, and it leaves a durable finish behind.

http://www.powderperfect.com/diy.asp

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 871

Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the copper coating is not damaged or the top plate is a brass pressing, you could try one of the small DIY 'Electroless Nickel' plating kits. Basically you mix the two liquid parts together in a large Pyrex beaker and heat the immersed part on a small hotplate. If you heat at the lower range, copper plated plastic covers will plate very nicely without any distortion.

Have used this process on a number of older plate camera components, and before the stupid law banning private ownership of handguns here in the UK, on a number of automatic pistols. The process gives a durable finish for little cost or effort.

Arnaldo
Tinkerer
Username: Arnaldo

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 01:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
If you want it to look like chrome, but doesnt actually have to BE chrome, check out the very affordable "Copy Chrome" plating kit at

Thanks

Arnaldo
Tinkerer
Username: Arnaldo

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 04:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
can someone tell me how to chrome proffesinaly at home, like where could i source liquid chrome and make a dip or is there a better way?

Thanks

Canon Waterproof Camera
Best Waterproof Camera

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 121

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have bought both chrome and black enamel paint in pens that have a little rattle ball inside. You shake well before using them. The fiber tip goes inward when you push it on the area that you want the paint applied to. They work pretty well and can do a decent job once you kind of get the hang of using one. Don't recall where I bought them now, though.

If you mean genuine chrome plating though, you'll need to buy a plating kit. Just google "chrome plating kit" and you'll get hits.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration