Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Slrmirrorreplacement Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Slrmirrorreplacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alva
Tinkerer
Username: Alva

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do I realign the mirror in my contax159mm? The mirror appeared to have been mounted too low. The clearance is too close to the lense for an uninterupted return after shutter is released.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 882

Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your description suggests that the actual mirror glass has slipped downwards in the metal holder/frame. I have no idea how the mirror is retained on the holder on this model Contax - metal clips, double sided tape or adhesive have all been used on slr cameras. If clips are used, then a very gentle push on the lower edge may get it back to the proper position. However if the mirror was stuck on, the the adhesive may have softened due to heat thus allowing movement, you may have trouble removing the mirror completely without damage to allow refixing in the proper position.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 233

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it not clearing this particular lens or is it hitting all lenses?

Mirrors generally don't slip.

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 46

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, at least the same happened with my contax 159. The mirror is glued on, and if the glue gets soft, it slips.

The edge of the mirror should be flush with the metal holder, otherwise it has moved.

That said, I didn't want to risk breaking the mirror and sent the camera for repair.

Dirk

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 235

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found in some cameras the back of certain lenses just barely clear the mirror and sometimes not at all.

After looking closely at the rear of the lens I noticed this particular lens had a platic hood over the rear cell. I removed the plsatic hood and the problem was cured.

Alva
Tinkerer
Username: Alva

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do I choose a technician to remove fungus effectively from my Carl Zeiss 50mm 1.4 lense and is it worth it. An interior element is completely crisscrossed with a silvery fungus. This is an old Planar T* lense.

Studio1476
Tinkerer
Username: Studio1476

Post Number: 11

Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same mirror problem with certain lenses on a couple of 137MA's. Another thread on this forum suggested using a hair dryer as a heat gun to soften the adhesive used to attach the mirrors to the support frame in these Contax models, so I tried this, with some success. I had to apply heat to the underside of the raised mirror for about a minute, after which I was able to easily slide the mirror up to its proper position. It slipped partway back down as it cooled, though, so that's what required repeating the procedure a couple of times. Probably removing the mirror entirely and re-seating it would avoid this adhesive memory effect, but that would be a tricky procedure, and I'm reluctant to risk getting glue on the front surface of the mirror. Seems to work OK now, anyway, even if the mirror isn't exactly flush with the edge of the frame, where it belongs. Good luck!

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 199

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 139 mirrors, and I assume the 159 ones, are stuck on with a disk of double sided sticky tape. They slip when they get too warm and can be pushed back if heated again as already noted above.

I have removed the mirrors by sliding a very thin blade in behind them and working it backwards and forwards slicing through the tape. When refitting them you must use the very thin double sided tape, not the foam stuff otherwise the mirror will be too high and focus will be off.

Studio1476
Tinkerer
Username: Studio1476

Post Number: 12

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Encouraged by Monopix's note above about slicing through the tape disk, I decided to try removing the mirror in a 137 and reattaching it flush with the edge of the frame using new tape. (Though previously heating the adhesive and pushing it back several times had improved the mirror position to where it no longer interfered with any lenses, that approach alone never quite succeeded in repositioning the mirror permanently all the way back to its proper location, and I wasn't all that confident it wouldn't slip down again on a hot day.) It took an hour of careful work but now looks and works great! A 1" curved X-Acto blade worked well to slice through the old tape adhesive while heating the mirror support frame from underneath with a hair dryer.

(Perhaps the Moderator can move this thread from restoration to repair, where it would seem to fit better.)

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 64

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A bit late but I had a similar problem with a Yashica FX3 Super 2000. Since I live in the tropics, I suspect it was at some point left in a car and that caused the mirror glue to soften, making the mirror slip down. My solution? I left the camera in my car's dash for the day, at a special angle so the mirror would slip back into place. It worked like a charm, but could not handle the camera for a few hours. I later added a drop of glue as extra insurance. Over a year later and it is still working properly.

Thanks,
Ismael

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration