Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

AGFA Isolette Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » AGFA Isolette « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Test_drive
Tinkerer
Username: Test_drive

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello everyone. new guy here. i am not a camera person but my mom gave me a old agfa isolette i think its a (1) modle. my uncle got it for her back in the early 50s i think when he was stationed in germany. she never bought film for it and just packed it away. now i have it and its never been used and is in mint condition. however the outer lens adjustment bezel is frozen. there are some post in this forum that suggest useing heat to loosen things up are there any pre steps to doing this as i realy dont want to damage this camera. dont know if it matters but the lens is a Agnar. plus if anyone has any info on this thing, that would be great thanks.

Karl
Tinkerer
Username: Karl

Post Number: 76

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess when you say lens adjustment bezel you are talking about the shutter speed dial.If so, then yes you are right to be cautious,no force should be used.When the posts you have looked at say use heat it may not mean take a blow torch to it,try mild heat first.Maybe sit the camera on a hot water bottle for a while or if the sun is out and it is hot put it in the window to warm up.Gently test the dial now and again to see if anything gives.Please do not try to take it apart,not yet.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 219

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure the shutter speed dial was meant. More common with Isolettes is a "frozen" focusing ring (the one that has the distance scale on it) due to old grease.
Here is a link to a fine website which covers the problem.
http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/repair/frozenfix.html

There are also some links there useful when reassembling the lens like checking and adjusting the focus. Quite a useful side - especially for Isolette owners.

A little warmth can be helpful. e.g. a desk lamp or the mentioned hot water bottle maybe the radiator of the central heating. Anything that gives a more or less constant but slow warming.

Hope it helps.
Martin

Test_drive
Tinkerer
Username: Test_drive

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks and it is the focusing ring.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 147

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are almost certainly going to have to use some force, in addition to the heat, in order to get the two lens elements apart and it may require significant force. The important thing to remember here is not to do it in such a way as to damage the threads. Once those threads are damaged, it's all ruined. This means pliers are not an option. A small strap wrench, with a rubber strap, on the other hand...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration