Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Restoration of old rolled up photo Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Restoration of old rolled up photo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 74

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old photo from 1927 that is one of those long, narrow shots taken of a employees at a company picnic.It has been rolled up in a mailing tube for several years and as best I remember has at least one tear. At any rate, I am sure that it is brittle and I have not attempted to remove it from the tube to examine it. I live in Northern Delaware, and would like to find someone with the expertise to bring it back to a condition where it could be placed in a frame and given to a group who are presently working toward a museum of artifacts through the years.Someone in SE Pa, Delaware, NJ, or Maryland within driving distance would be nice to know about. Any help would be appreciated.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 899

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My normal procedure is to soak the rolled up print in water plus a few drops of rinse aid and then unroll the wetted print, emulsion side up, onto a long glazing plate or sheet of glass that has been covered with a piece of heavy gauge polythene. Leave the print to air dry and use the plastic sheet to move the print if it is very torn/fragile.

On prints that are not too brittle I just put the wetted print through my dryer/glazer - but not everybody has an industrial print dryer to hand!

Karl
Tinkerer
Username: Karl

Post Number: 79

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Glenn, soaking in water should be fine if handled with care,after all that was how the print was made originally.However,scan the photo as soon as you can when flat,just to be on the safe side.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration