Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

No.1A Speed Kodak Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » No.1A Speed Kodak « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Heywood
Tinkerer
Username: Heywood

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Speed Kodak was the forbearer of the Speed Graphic, I have two.
One shows it's age, it's well used but whole. The other one is in much better condition but it's missing hardware. Instead of making 1 good one out of the 2 I want to make 2 good ones but I have some questions.

When it comes to leather i thought about using black shoe polish to cover up the scratches and restore seem of it's color. Then an application of NeatsFoot oil to rejuvenate it's dryness. But I was thinking, it's thin leather over a wooden frame, would the NeatsFoot oil, after penetrating the leather actually cause it to separate ?

And the hardware, does anyone have any suggestions where I can find some pieces? A few of the pieces look like whats on the later speed graphic but not exactly, like i may have to do a little fabricating of my own. Is there some spare parts guru out there ?

Thanks

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 87

Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice cameras. I have one, but while the "slit" curtain works well, the other curtain has stiffened badly. (Any hints?) Can't help you with the hardware...
As far as the leather goes, I've never seen Neatsfoot oil loosen camera leather, although some in here may disagree. Neatsfoot oil is awfully greasy though, and I've come to prefer Fiebing's Saddle Oil... It penetrates well and brings the old dye back to life like water on a rock. After a fairly liberal application, I'll let the thing sit for a few months so that I don't feel like I'm sealing excessive moisture in, and then give it a coating of Renaissance Wax. I've never really liked shoe polish, because it tends to wind up looking a little thick and pasty. Lots of differing opinions as far as handling leather...
Marty

Heywood
Tinkerer
Username: Heywood

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have only used neatsfoot oil on old leather camera cases so far, thats why i wanted to ask first. As far as the curtains go, i just got these recently and haven't even begun to work on them. My only experience with the fabric shutters before was with a Speed Graphic. Before that I went through my large format phase with a few century grands, some old eastmans and a few ww2 vintage speed graphics.

Photographer_x
Tinkerer
Username: Photographer_x

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would also have to agree about using Fiebing products.

Fabricating bits and pieces, you should talk to Paul Ron here on this forum.

Eskimogus
Tinkerer
Username: Eskimogus

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Kiwi Saddle soap,
it cleanse, and softens

i use it all the time on any of my cameras
it is not greasy at all.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration