Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

1904 Kodak No. 2 Folding Brownie model A Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » 1904 Kodak No. 2 Folding Brownie model A « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tinkerer
Username: 120

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2011 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone, I am planning to restore a no. 2 folding brownie camera, but I'm not too sure where to start. I have no experience with camera restorations, I have been doing some research, but there seems to be very little about the camera's construction. The condition of the camera are as follows:

*Lens board is broken at the bottom where it attaches to the focusing slide.
*Shutter a little sticky but operational.
*Leatherette is worn on the corners.
*Lens needs a clean.
*Red window needs placing.
*One of the film rollers is stuck and will not turn.
*General clean of the camera body is required.

Any tips and advice will be very much appreciated. The following link shows a restored version: http://taotothetruth.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-for-instantaneous.html

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 37

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Restoring the old wood bodied Kodaks calls for carpentry and upholstery skills more than mechanical ones.

If yours has the single-element meniscus lens, you can put the shutter on the Bulb setting and hold it open while you clean the lens from front and back. The top plate can be removed to clean the mechanism with a little lighter fluid on a brush.

If the lens is visible on the front of the camera without opening the shutter, it may be a Rapid Rectilinear which was used on the higher end cameras. You should be able to just unscrew it for removal and cleaning.

If you have a red bellows in good condition, it is probably best to clean it with just a light brushing and without any kind of oil or solvents. If the leather covering is mostly intact, you might just touch up the corners with a little black dye and leather polish. The leather is probably adhered to the wood with shellac or hide glue which may be loosened with solvents.

Hard to say about broken wood parts, though super glue is always an option.

When it's finished, be sure to make some pictures with the camera. If you use a tripod, you'll be surprised at how good they will be, even with the simplest lens.

Foto_gaga
Tinkerer
Username: Foto_gaga

Post Number: 52

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please don't use any old Super Glue to put your lens board back together. Carpenter's wood glue or specifically formulated for wood Super Glue (used for model airplanes) is best.

You might want to drill two small holes up into the lensboard and, if the wood piece down at the base is big enough to permit it, drill two corresponding holes into that. Then you can insert a pair of wood dowels into the holes and fit everything together to give everything extra support.

Get a can of electronics cleaner (drys dry type. Not the stays greasy type. Try CRC 5-56) to clean out the shutter. Or you can remove the shutter and soak it in lighter fluid. You can always set the shutter to "T" and clean the lens later with a couple Q-Tips until it comes clean if you can't remove the lens.

Usually the little tab of metal holding the roller gets "tapped" down and that is why the roller won't turn. A gentle lifting of tab holding the roller "frees" it to roll again.

Is your red window loose and there or damaged and in need of replacement? Is it the flat type or the type with a rim that pops in?

General cleaning you can use a rag and some soapy water (dish washing liquid) to get off the "hand dirt" that builds up over the years. If you feel you actually need to spend money, then the usual creamy white leather cleaners are ok also (but not as good). Don't let the covering get "soaked" on this type covering. Magic marker (Marks-a-Lot brand) will touch up the edges (or Fiebings leather dye). If the color doesn't match too good a wipe/rub with a thumb wet with spit will tone down the sheen or color to make it match.

Tinkerer
Username: 120

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The following pictures shows the focusing slide with part of the broken lens board attached and the broken lens board. And I must say that the information is extremely helpful, and it is very much appreciated.
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document
Doc1.docx (78.2 k)

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 58

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got one of these at the Goodwill and have only used it as a shelf queen. I got it because it takes 120 film. I'll be watching for your progress. Mine has a shutter that does not work but the red window and the wood/covering are pretty good.

PS: your picture link/attachment comes up as gobeldygook.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 109

Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the repair work out ok on this? Did you find a red window?

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 228

Posted on Monday, January 02, 2012 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the red window, go to Staples or Office Max and get some of those lable holders for hanging files. They come in various colors. The red is a deep red that works well, they are really cheap, the red is in the plastic, so it won't rub off, and you get enough in one package to do 100 cameras.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration