Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Remove black marker from Olympus XA Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Remove black marker from Olympus XA « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucadomi
Tinkerer
Username: Lucadomi

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought an Olympus XA. The camera seems to be working fine but somebody has covered with black marker all the white lettering. The Olympus logo, the ISO setting and the inscription around the lens are blackened out. Can anyone suggest a good way to restore the camera and get back the white lettering?
Thanks for the help.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 82

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try rubbing alcohol. Most markers are alcohol based. Be careful not to rub too hard, as you may also remove the white paint.

Lucadomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Waynemel,
I will definitely try. Do you know what type of alcohol in particular?
I really would like to clean up this camera. I find hard to understand why somebody would put black marker on his own camera.
Anyway, hopefully it's fixable,
Thanks.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 83

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would try simple isopropal alcohol from the drugstore. If you do remove some of the white paint, you can purchase a white laquer stick that you can use to fill in the lettering. They are available from Microtools. I have used this product a little, and it works well. It is trickier to work with very small letters and in confined spaces however.

Lucadomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tryed on the Olympus logo and it starts to come off by rubbing quite a bit. I am a little more careful around the lense area. I really don't want any liquid to go on the lens. Maybe I will cover the lens with something. Hopefully slowly it will come off there too. Eventually I will try also the white paint if needed.
Thank you.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 75

Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lighter fluid is better than alcohol. Alcohol removes paint.

Lucadomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did some more work tonight with the alcohol and it is almost working. I' ll try the lighter fluid too. Thanks for the help Finnegan.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration