Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Restoring brass depth of field plates Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Restoring brass depth of field plates « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 183

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a couple of old cameras with brass depth of field charts on the backs that have become almost completely brassed. Is there a way to paint the background black so the numbers can be read that won't show brush strokes?

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 92

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking about that once and the best I could come up with is to completely degrease the metal then put a coating of grease on the raised surfaces (the letters) then spray paint it. After it is fully dry the grease rubs off the raised surfaces leaving it unpainted. Not exactly sure how to apply the grease though. Maybe spray some Pam nonstick on a sheet of waxpaper and press the metal down onto it.

The alternative, of course, is to strip all paint off of the metal then press it down on a rubber stamp pad saturated with black paint. You get a brass plate with black lettering. Reverse image sort of thing.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the text/numbers raised or embossed?

If it's raised I think degreasing and spraypainting and then using some sort of pad with a bit of solvent to carefully remove the paint from the raised areas.

if the text/numbers are hammered in then I would probably attempt something with a roller.

If the text is level with the main surface; We're talking about an expensive custom silk screen print I think.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 185

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The plates appear to be acid etched, with the numbers SLIGHTLY raised. I waS thinking about using a sharpie marker, but that is a temporary solution at best. If only someone made a thing like a felt tip pen but with lacquer paint in it.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 267

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2011 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...a felt tip pen but with lacquer paint in it

Something like that?
http://www.c-kreul.de/Lacquer-Pens.237.0.html?&L=1

This is a german website but there should be similar products elsewhere.
Here one from the UK:
http://www.craftcellar.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d92_lacquer_pens.html

There might also be similar products meant for repairing minor scratches on cars.

Hope it helps.
Regards
Martin

Finnegan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 94

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2011 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That type of marker is available at a well stocked arts and crafts store.

Using solvent to remove the paint from raised lettering, as flibble suggested, is really hard to do. I tried it lots of times but it never comes out perfect and the paint below the letters usually ends up damaged.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 186

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2011 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I am really good at spot toning prints, and you can't tell they've been spot toned, so if I can find one of those pens with a fine enough tip, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks!

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 187

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2011 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Msiegel:
I might have to sharpen the tip a little (on the extra fine point), but yeah. Thanks!

Finnegan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 95

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2011 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to say, on the ones that I painted without first protecting the lettering from the paint, I removed the unwanted paint from the raised letters by rubbing it off with 600 sandpaper on a very flat wood block.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 188

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2011 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was planning on using either a scalpel (as a scraper) or crocus cloth on a wood block.

Milosdevino
Tinkerer
Username: Milosdevino

Post Number: 22

Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finnegan is on the right track. I used to do this sort of thing commercially, and we just sprayed painted the whole thing and then sanded the paint off the raised letters with fine sandpaper, then polish. It worked a treat.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 194

Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You sure about that? ON these the plate is acid etched and the numbers are not raised enough to make much difference at all. I was thinking I might have to use a glass scraper -- or just give up and brass the whole thing.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration