Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Repainting bronzed edges? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Repainting bronzed edges? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stratokaster
Tinkerer
Username: Stratokaster

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a very nice Canon New F-1. Mechanically it's superb, apparently the camera was serviced recently and it has new light seals and the mirror dampener is as good as new. However, the edges and corners of the top plate show heavy bronzing. How can I restore them? Is it possible to repaint just the bronzed edges without removing the paint completely?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 964

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never touch up rubbed edges, you will end up with a body that looks bloody awful! Just leave well alone and let the camera exhibit its well earned 'battle scars' when you use it, otherwise refinish the top plate properly by removing the bad paint and respraying etc.

Stratokaster
Tinkerer
Username: Stratokaster

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, OK. I will leave it as is then. In truth, those bronzed corners are quite charming, they give the camera more 'character.'

Thank you!

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 185

Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, you won't see that on a p&s digital. There were even some photogs that would actually scuff up the corners on their new cameras, so it wouldn't look like they were just starting out.

PF

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 91

Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ditto with the "leave it alone" guys. I love the look of smooth brassing. It works more like highlights than a defect. :-)

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 227

Posted on Monday, January 02, 2012 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With brassing, you have three options. Leave it alone, brass the whole thing and varnish it, or strip the whole thing down and repaint it. You can not "touch it up." Usually you are best off with the first option.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 281

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the camera is for use, I agree that the best option is just to let the brass show. Even if you can find something that blends without looking bad, it won't have the durability of the original, and it will wear right off again.

If you're going to put the camera on a shelf, you can touch up little brassing spots with a black magic marker. It rubs right off again in use, though.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 140

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those who choose to use a black marker to touch up camera brassing, the standard Sharpie marker is not the best option. For various blackening operations in my shop, I use the Sharpie Industrial Super Permanent Ink marker. This marker is made for lab use and withstands chemicals and heat. It also gives a good black color, unlike the regular Sharpie which gives a deep purple color.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 270

Posted on Friday, January 06, 2012 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the marker recomendation for a true black cover.

I'd leave the brassing alone it says "I know what I'm doing," that experiance should never be hidden.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration