Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica Paint ??? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Leica Paint ??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hank
Tinkerer
Username: Hank

Post Number: 25

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Friends. Im going to strip the chrome off my M3 & repaint it black. I want to use my Iwata airbrush. I was curious if any of you have suggestions for a good Gloss Black airbrush paint and a primer as well.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 273

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are removing the chrome parts, consider powder painting it.

Hank
Tinkerer

Post Number: 26

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah .... I never really heard of it. I need the paint to be very tough and as chip resistant as I can make it. Most ive heard is to use an enamel .... then bake it. But no where do I see any suggestions as to what brand enamel to use.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 274

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Powder paint is avaialable from Cabellas since it used on fishing lures of all things.

http://www.cabelas.com/paints-prism-tape-pro-tec-powder-paint-2.shtml

You heat the part, the put the powder paint on the surface or dip it, reheat as it self levels to a beautiful finish.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 971

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not Pro-Tec or any other so called diy 'powder' coatings on the 'sheet metal' work of cameras. These coatings require the item to be pre heated, so that when the hot item is dipped into the powder a thin coat adheres to the surface. Because the sheet metal components do not retain the heat evenly, one gets an uneven coating that often leads to runs in the final stoving process. Unfortunately because of the risk of edge build up, all internal areas of the covers that contact the body frame will have to be masked off - these coatings are difficult to remove once they are cured.

For proper application of 'Fine' coatings the electrostatic process is the only method to use - ie use a professional applicator, an M3 ain't no bloody fish hook!

From experience you should note that even fine/thin coatings of this type can obscure fine engraving.

If you want to find a suitable stoving enamel, do a Google search and contact a suitable manufacturer direct - note not their agents. Doing this in the UK has provided me with small test samples (1/2 pints!) of products that have proved to stove in the domestic oven. I offered to pay but all was gratis and much advice also offered.

Hank
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good advise Glenn. Thank you so much. How long did you bake your enamel and at what temperature?

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 277

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 05:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glen, Since the camera he is stripping is an M3, you've already turned it into a fish hook piece of crap by taking the original plating n paint off.

Yes the eletrostatic application n bake is the best method, places that do motorcycles will do it for you at a very minimal charge.

If you ever want to keep the value of a collector camera, you leave it as is, not strip n paint with Testors model paint or patio Rustolium.

Saying that, any paint you use will have an uneven build and will not be as good as the origianl thereby destroying any value it may have had.

As a repairmen I've seen too many DIY jobs come into my shop,painted and toutched up cameras are always the sore thumbs. I'd rather see brassing than an amatuer toutch up job.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 973

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In complete agreement Paul. I had three M Series refinished in black by Leitz - cost a fortune but really worth the expense and wait.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 278

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glen, How much did Leitz charge for the job? Maybe a recomendation to send it into them might be better advice for Hank along with the conact info.

At least his M3 will be worth someting in the end. I'll bet those cameras look cherry too.. any pics?

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 149

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

H: Check out this site: CS Coatings:
http://csipaint.com/products/production-tools/powder-spray-gun.asp
I think it is a hoot, you should be able to paint that old camera up in any flavor you like. As far as Paul's comment, it is your camera to do what you wish. On the products page is a clear coat Epoxy too. I have An M6 LHSA that I am using as I like collector smectors use it....
Always the best! Mike

Mars
Tinkerer
Username: Mars

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have followed the debate, very intersing. I would like to paint an old anodyzed silver ricoh 35 S. Hank did you paint your leica? Is possible to see any pics of your job. I have some questions to do you.

thanks

p.s. sorry for my english i'm italian

Overexposed
Tinkerer
Username: Overexposed

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>eletrostatic application n bake is the best method,

In terms of quality and scratchproofness it is certainly the very best. But the electrostatic method has for this application the disadvantage that quite a lot of powder coat will go around and settle also on the inside.Maybe you need to stuff the inside.

The fine lettering is certainly an issue too. Probably an even bigger issue.

(I did use powder coat on some products in a China factory)

Overexposed
Tinkerer
Username: Overexposed

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CSI link is now: http://csipaint.com/products/production-tools/powder-spray-gun.php

However, that nice little air brush gun has no electrostatic function. With electrostatic you will be able to make a much more even powder coat.

I have read that Leica/Leitz uses a type called "SENOCRYL". Powder coats come in many colors and surfaces incl. hammer effect etc.

Letters can be done with the white stick: http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=L51120

Would really love to get an old camera and try it. Not a Leica at first though.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration