Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning Mirrors — safe method found. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Cleaning Mirrors — safe method found. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thol
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2012 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a cross post — I put it on the repair forum, but perhaps it more properly belongs here.

This post is about what may prove to be a novel way that I found to clean a mirror in an SLR camera:

Recently I was trying to get a Fujica ST-701 to work properly around the speed dial and glanced at the mirror. It was very filthy, despite the camera looking otherwise pretty fresh. The camera has suspect timing so I thought, "What to lose?" Here is what I did —

I took a piece of Blu-Tac and warmed it up so as to be pliable. Then I set the material as a 3-4 mm layer covering half of the mirror. I gently tamped it with the blunt end of some tweezers. Then I lifted the Blu-Tac and remolded it to a fresh contact area and put it on the remaining part of the lens. I worked about to remove some residue all the while estimating what might be diminishing returns for my efforts.

The result: from a really filthy mess to a very respectably clean mirror — no visible scars, scratches or residue. The mirror returns to the bumper as smoothly as before. The viewing screen is nice and bright.

Now if I can only find out why this camera will not stay the shutter open on Bulb.

The usual warning — do it at yer own risk, and YMMV. I for one am really glad I discovered this. However, I doubt I am the first!

Newworld
Tinkerer
Username: Newworld

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 03:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like it - will try it the next time a buy a body for spares with Bumper rubber all over the mirror - I learnt the hard way - cleaning mirrors is a challenge !
\Thank you

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 303

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2012 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatever you do... never use alcohol it will turn blue!

ASk me how I know?

I find a hot steamy breath n a clean cloth works best.

Aerowoof
Tinkerer
Username: Aerowoof

Post Number: 21

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

where do you get blu-tac?and what is it?will it remove fingerprints?

Newworld
Tinkerer
Username: Newworld

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Aerowoof,
Blu tac is a putty like item used to fix sheets of paper to walls ( a typical application ).
I have seen in School stationery supply stores and I think it's made by Bostik ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration