Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing rubbing alcohol residue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Removing rubbing alcohol residue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dimshade
Tinkerer
Username: Dimshade

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was too eager and made a mistake when trying to clean a Yashica 124G. I just got it from eBay and there's a little mold in the film compartment. I used rubbing alcohol to try to clean away but it left a residue. The worst part seems to be on the matte finished metals that surround the negative and the rear element of the lens. What's left behind is a imprint of the cleaned area and seems to be shinier than before. Does anyone know how to remove this? Thanks a lot. I am really bummed since the camera is in great shape except the damage that I did to it.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 156

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can't remove the "shine" because the real problem is you removed the matte part of the paint so, what you need to do is replace the matte.

This really means you have to get a little bottle of Testor's model paint to "touch up" (repaint) the area. Make sure the paint is well mixed/shaken and fresh. I just finished a camera using old paint and it came out "ok" enough to look good.

Dimshade
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see, well thanks for the info. That'll teach me to use rubbing alcohol. What do you usually use for mold?

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 157

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lighter fluid on a q-tip.

You might also try matte (clear) paint. If you have a model railroad hobby shop around they have great paints.

Alcohol is great on chrome. It tends to start removing paint though.

Dimshade
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankfully, I didn't touch any parts of the lens with the alcohol. This camera is mainly for my own use and I don't think I destroyed enough matte paint to make a difference in the exposure. If it is just cosmetics, I'll just live with it. Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks a lot for your advice.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 991

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before you start messing even deeper, you should realise that some 'rubbing alcohols' contain small amounts of 'oils' which will be spread all over the surface of the interior leaving a shinny look.

Get a ball of cotton wool and soak it in lighter fluid - solvent naphtha - and wipe over all the 'shinny' parts. After one wipe, repeat with a freshly soaked piece of cotton wool and then leave to evaporate dry. Remember you need plenty of solvent to remove the oily contamination.

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 63

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the future use "Everclear" from the liquor store.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 263

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

puderse:
Everclear was a great solvent, if you needed alcohol, but it is no longer legal to purchase it in this state. If you can't buy it where you are, try denatured alcohol, sold in hardware stores. Unflavored vodka will do in a pinch.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 297

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can also get denatured alcohol form home depot at 1/10 the cost of Everclear.. but no sippin between cleanings or you'll go blind kid.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration