Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Where can I get this clip? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Where can I get this clip? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 22

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 28, 2012 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought this camera on eBay but I sent it back (long story) but I loved the clips for the neck strap. (should have kept them, the creep still owes me a refund) I remember them from other cameras as a youth, these said Yashica on them but I've seen others, they are metal loops with a sliding plastic keeper for quick on and off. I've searched extensively on eBay and Google to no avail, maybe I just don't know what to call them (camera strap clips, quick release clips got bupkiss) any help in a whereabouts or what to call them (for a search) would be appreciated image

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1005

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very common in late 60's/early70's as both fittings on after market neck straps and on OEM supplied straps. Apart from after market items (which I forget who made them), from the equipment that passed through my hands during that time period I recalled that Pentacon had similar items on their accessory lists.

I do not know where you are located, but here in the UK one would obtain or look at copies of the Wallace Heaton Ltd catalogue (The Blue Book) from the relevant time period - try copy from 1969 to 1972). These will certainly give you a manufacturer of the accessory items and the type name etc. copies of the Blue Book were quite common on eBay at one time.

For interest - There are two 1969/70 blue Books advertised on Amazon at this very moment for £3.99 each.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 288

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 05:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might want to have a look at that kind of system:
http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-1501012-binoculars-/dp/B00092KD9C/ref=sr_1_1?i e=UTF8&qid=1338464820&sr=8-1

Martin

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1006

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately in my opinion the Op-Tech system is an overly complicated mess. The actual pieces that attach to the camera are certainly not quick release from the body lugs (you have to push the strap through a cord loop that goes through the lug holes), whilst the plastic connectors are certainly bulky and are more fitted to their normal use on nylon dog collars.

The connectors in the original post allow the complete strap to be removed quickly and simply from the body lugs, but offer complete security when 'locked' onto the lugs

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 289

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,
you're certainly right. my message was not meant to promote a certain product but to point to a system which is available from various manufacturers. Weak points might be same with all of them.

Railcrew,
here's something on *bay Germany which might come closer to your original item. Unfortunately it's used and no manufacturer mentioned.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hochwertiger-Kameragurt-Kameras-Osenhalterungen-Schnellve rschluss-/160809515938?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Tragegurte_Handschlaufen&hash=item25 70fe7ba2

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1007

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Martin,

That item is a good find - I have experience of those fasteners in a MUCH bigger version and they are good, strong/secure. Did not realise that smaller versions were available, silly not to think that they may be.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 291

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,
sorry I'm confused right now. I thought that besides the *bay link I had posted another one to a double carabiner system I found mentioned in a Leica forum. But either I did not load it up correctly or it was deleted as possible spam so I'm not sure right now to which one you refer - the one on *bay or the other one which you might have seen before it got deleted (if that was what happened).

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1009

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No it is the eBay item - Hochwertiger etc - that I thought was good. I did not see the Leica item; however, my nice items purchased many years ago and very similar to the originals in the query, were from a Leica dealer. Unfortunately I got rid of them a few years back as I do not use neck straps now.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 292

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

thanks for the update. Then I guess it was my mistake.
The other solution I found is that one:
http://www.peterlueck.com/fotografie/kameragurt-schnell-wechselbar/
It's some kind of double carabiner called S-Biner available in various sizes. Easy to find via google.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1012

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2012 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neat! Thanks for that.

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 25

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That S-Biner looks like a promising prospect, thanks.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 62

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, but notice the band-aid or tape in the photo on that website? Its there to keep the S-biner from damaging the camera. That has been my main complaint about metal clips to attach straps to my cameras. I either do without a strap, or use a thin Kevlar cord (little thicker than typical thread) and a hitch in the strap lug, then attach that to a neck strap (variations are endless). There are, of course, products out there that attach via a loop like I describe. Op/Tech comes to mind. I think the Op/Tech strap has quick-release buckles just above the loop attachment so you can remove the strap anytime with little effort. In fact, I think I have one on my Nikon FE (or FE2, or maybe the FA). The strap itself is neoprene (wetsuit material) and pretty comfortable. Yeah, I know, not vintage.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1020

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A logical sumise Jeff, but looking at the dynamics of that particular camera hanging off the strap and the evidence does not add up to the tape being there for protection. The metal clip will rub the top edge of the top plate above the lug, also an equal area of top plate and body infront and behind the lug. There is no doubt that metal clips have the ability to mar body chrome and paint - in this instance however, I think the tape is on for another reason.

Perhaps if someone can translate the posts below the photograph we may find the answer.

I always use metal clips, but place a washer made from neoprene over the lug before mounting the clips. Washers are either round or square, depending which looks better on that particular body.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 194

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, the translation of the main article :

When taking longtime exposures outside but also when one would want to put a small camera in the pocket of a coat it makes sense to make the removal of the shoulder strap as uncomplicated as possible.

The S-shaped carabine hooks from stainless steel are even in their smallest form 14x40mm capable of carrying till 2,3 Kilo of weight.

In this image i show how i exchanged the "key rings" on the original strap of the Leica X1 with these small helpers.

If somebody is interested they are HERE available

= end of translation ==

Also had a look at the follow up postings but nothing is mentioned about that tape visible or the possibility of marring the cover.
Somebody was interested in the dimensions of the material of the clip as this seems to be not round but more square. Dimensions given : thickness 2mm and height 2,5mm. Also an advice is given to have at least 3mm gap between attachment point and camera body.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1021

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 04:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that Hans, the very last sentence of your post is the most useful and telling one.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 63

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn's neoprene washers are a good solution. I've seen them used on other people's gear. Don't get me wrong, I think some metal clips look nice and appropriate for some of my vintage cameras, but practical trumps appearance when I intend to use my gear.

Its easier to have confidence in metal clips. Plastic *will* fail and I don't trust my babies to plastic. The Kevlar loops I mentioned earlier are very reliable and strong, but still have to get over the appearance of "thread" securing my camera from doom.

Most of the damage I've suffered from metal clips happened while the camera was in its bag. Jostling around while in the bag and while taking in and out, and so on. This has marred the body all around the attachment point (and sometimes beyond). Usually, rather little damage while the camera hangs off my neck. And of course, it varies considerably with each body and clip type.

Now, I'm really curious what that band-aid is for. Does it cover the Leica logo? -- anti-theft strategy?

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1022

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'Does it cover the Leica logo? - anti-theft strategy?'

Now that is something I have seen done in some of the more undesirable quarters of our World.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 294

Posted on Monday, June 18, 2012 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,
you're right. On his Flickr page Mr. Lueck confirms that in the comments.
On poster asks if the band aid is a anti-theft protection and he confirms it in the answer mentioning that it is an "economy" Leica anyway so taping the band aid is over the logo is no problem.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterlueck/4448791366/in/photostream/

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1024

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Martin,

Thanks for the follow up. Over the years I have seen that having the Leica logo hanging from one's neck, has had various outcomes for some unfortunate travelers in many parts of the world. It certainly advertises 'wealth' no matter where you are these days, so you are asking for trouble if you do not keep a 'tight hold' on the bag of kit. However, the sign of the Leica has been used to initiate far more devious thefts - The owner is followed back to their hotel and their room number observed, then at a convenient moment for the thief, the room is burgled - usually with a far better outcome for the thief than just snatching the camera!

Sad old world. Mind you I have seen some really objectionable 'tourists', who have deserved all they got, in my travels around some the poorer parts of this planet of ours.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 66

Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use my FSU rangefinders when travelling in Eastern Europe and Russia. People there have no interest in the old "junk". Also, if you search around, you can find old gear for cheap. But its hard to find a store or seller that doesn't offer the glitter of new capitalism. I found a few lenses while in Bulgaria but didn't bother purchasing any of them. They were in pretty sad condition.

Anyway, I see the tape from time to time. Usually over a Nikon, but I recognize classic Nikon bodies a mile away -- can't fool me.

Oh, and objectionable tourists are abundant, even in "out of the way" places. I too begin to think they get their due. Unfortunate.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 259

Posted on Friday, June 22, 2012 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They occasionally show up on ebay, but with the strap attached. Try searching for "vintage camera neck strap".

Graywolf
Tinkerer
Username: Graywolf

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those clips were on neck straps sold under the Rowi brand here in the USA. At one time I had them on all my cameras. When I came upon a nylon strap with those on it in a local camera store's junk bin, I grabbed it. It is the only one I have found in years and years.

Another nice clip I came upon was a tiny swivel snap hook on a narrow leather neckstrap.

All the stuff you can find today seems to be designed to haul around 8#-20# cameras. I have done a DIY solution using small split rings and heavy flat shoelaces. If you need durability they actually make Kevlar shoelaces.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration