Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Getting tacks out of cardboard box ca... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Getting tacks out of cardboard box cameras? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 71

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 04:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two 1930s and 1940s box cameras that are in need of some CLA. The only way to get into the shutter is by removing the nails/tacks around the front end of the camera.

Any suggestions on going about this without damaging the leatherette/cardboard too much?

I was thinking about inserting a sharp object between the wooden frame that holds the shutter/film frame and the edge of the exterior and forcing the nails out a little bit before grabbing them with pliers and yanking them out all the way.

But I'd love to hear it if someone knows a friendlier method.

Regards,
Rick

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1026

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The little tool described below was made by my father 75 years ago to aid in the restoration of antique furniture. Since I acquired it many years ago it has helped restore a number of vintage automobile interiors.

Take a 6" length of machine hacksaw blade and grind the teeth off to produce a 3/4" wide metal blank and round off all edges. A 1" long slot is now ground down the center of one end - width of slot is wider than the diameter of the nail and less than diameter of nail head. Now grind on one face/side of the slotted end a long shallow taper, then polish all faces of the slotted end. On no account draw the temper of the saw blade when doing the grinding of the slot and taper.

The tool is NOT used as a lever, it is inserted under the head of the nail/tack and gently tapped with a small hammer so that the head of the nail/tack is lifted out slightly. The tool is then pulled back slightly, to leave the nail head proud but the tool still protecting the material surface under the nail head. Using a properly ground pair of pincers firmly grasp the head and pull the nail STRAIGHT out.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 72

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn,

Your description of the tool reminds me somewhat of on of those brass button polishing tools.

I fear the nail heads have been hammered too deeply into the cardboard to be able to grab it with this type of tool though.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 91

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I was thinking about inserting a sharp object between the wooden frame that holds the shutter/film frame and the edge of the exterior and forcing the nails out a little bit before grabbing them with pliers and yanking them out all the way." That's more or less how I did it when I was keen enough to try to fix box cameras. I don't think they were designed to be opened! Even with the nails removed it can be tricky to separate the various parts.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 177

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Believe of not, I have removed front covers of this type by sticking my finger through the hole of the face and pulling it out. Usually the box cameras you are referring to don't have a lens in front, just a hole so, in that case, my method has worked. Apply pressure on each corner at a time depending on how far in you can get the finger or, if you can figure out a tool, like a flat handle end of a spoon or fork bent just right.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 73

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks all,

Finnegan, that might just work for the No.2 Hawkeye B, but not the Coronet Rex, as that one has a lens fixed in a metal bezel to the frontside of the camera.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 261

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've thought of several methods of extracting difficult nails, but I'd really have to see it before I could say which one would work best.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration