Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Retina type 118 repaint Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Kodak Retina type 118 repaint « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edsprake
Tinkerer
Username: Edsprake

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apologies if this is a somewhat newbie question, I've just come into possesion of a few very well used vintage cameras and was after some first time advice.

The Retina version 118 I have has clearly been very well used indeed and the spring plate that holds the film flat in the film compartment has had a lot of the original black paint rubbed away.

I assume that this will potentially affect picture quality as you will get the reflection of light from the silver metal back through the film, giving almost a redscale effect. I've not put a film through it yet though, so I don't know.

I was just wondering what would be the best method of restoring the black finish to that part of the mechanism would be.

Any help and suggested reading for the basics of resoration would be very gratefully appreciated!

Thanks,
Ed

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1031

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most of the pressure plates I have come across are not painted, they are blackened by some form of chemical process - adonising if alloy or chemical blacking if steel. If yours is steel just go and buy a small tube of gun blue/black from a gunsmith - if you can find on in the UK! There used to be alloy and brass blackening products available in past times - model engineering suppliers used to sell them in small tubes or bottles. Try a Google search - in the 50's and 60's certain 'hobby' mags were full of DIY kitchen sink formulae for blackening all manner of metals.

Edsprake
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That sounds good, I shall have a search.

I was suggested by one of the engineers at work to take the pressure place back to metal then do a couple of thin coats of matt black paint followed by lapping paper to ensure a smooth coat, not sure that it would be as durable though?

Thanks ever so much!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1032

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the plate is alloy there are small home anodising (fingers hit keys in correct order this time!) kits available, but the dying process might be beyond kitchen sink chemistry. Still it may be worth a search online, the dying of a clear anodised surface is not a complicated process in industry.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 70

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm following this thread with anticipation. I too have worn film pressure plates.

I've seen the results of gun bluing and it's not terribly black. Probably enough for our purpose, but the original plates are definitely "black".

I hope someone has a good suggestion here.

Edsprake
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 04:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was in the shop that I get my film processed by yesterday and was chatting to one of the guys who's been doing this for years, and apparently a worn pressure plate would have caused more problems back in the 30's than it would now as current film has a coating on the reverse which is designed to stop light coming through from the rear (to a certain extent...). I guess that's part of the reason why you have to expose a couple of stops over when redscaling film at home?

I'm thinking that I might just run a film trough it first to see what effect (if any there is) rather than tinkering without knowing whether it's making a difference first.

Of course there is always the potential that if the coating isn't smooth, you can scratch the film surface...

Might be a little time, but I'll let you know how it goes when I find out!

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 189

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like the "strip it to bare metal and repaint" idea. The black on these Retinas look like paint to me.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 276

Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if it's paint, I'd use epoxy paint. Epoxy paint doesn't require baking to harden it, like enamel does and it dries really hard. You need to be careful though, and don't make mistakes, because once epoxy paint dries, the only way to get it off is to grind it off.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 90

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2012 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ed, you're right, most films these days have anti-halation layers that prevent/reduce light from passing through the base layer and reflecting off the film pressure plate.

Lucky film is one with a poor anti-halation layer, the result is blown highlights with brightly lite subjects.

I don't expect it will influence your photos much, as in the 1930s and 1940s Kodak 35 cameras had unpainted metallic pressure plates.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration