Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Looking for Kodak 35 parts Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Looking for Kodak 35 parts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 77

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 05:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a couple of 1940s Kodak 35 cameras (as well as 35RFs) that are missing some of the rollbearings and springs under the winding knobs.

These tiny cylindrical bearings and springs allow the knob/take-up spool to only turn in one direction.

Anyone know a source for these parts? I don't want to cannibalize other cameras for them. :-(

Kind regards,

Rick

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 78

Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Managed to make some 2x2mm rollers from some wire I found in the bits box. Cut'm with a handsaw, ground'm down with a dremel and a file until they fit.

Now, to make the springs....

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 79

Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 02:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alright managed to turn some compression springs from musical wire and hardened them.

Cut to the right length and ground down a little.

Managed to fix the roller brakes on both a Kodak 35 RF and on a PH-324.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 80

Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Impressive. I thought about turning my own coil springs for a repair last year. Nice to know it really can be done. Did you harden them while on the form?

You've prompted me to pull out the Kodak 35 and give it a look over. Surprisingly better built than I thought it would be. Mine has an issue with returning the rewind lever to "wind position". I doubt I'll tackle that for a while, too many other projects ahead of it.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 80

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 03:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks,

No, I took them off the form, which was an 0.8mm screwdriver tip. I used some excess string (high C) from my electric guitar for the springs.
Wound it around the screwdriver as evenly as I could and then cut off the excess.
This gave me enough for two springs, with some room for deformities and cutting errors

I tempered the springs by heating them over a bunsen burner until evenly red all over and then cooling in water (oil is better I'm told).

Then cut them down to the right size and carefully ground the ends a little bit so they wouldn't get caught between the roller and the sides.

Here's a shot of the PH-324 after the repair
http://www.flibweb.nl/flibweb/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/K35-03.jpg

Cleaned the shutter. Realligned the gears of the winding & tensioning mechanism. Replace a missing part of the flip-up viewfinder. And of course the bearings and spring under the winding button.

A friend is working on having some reproduction 'nomenclature' plates made up. Normally these were attached with the two rivets you see on the front of the camera.

Cheers,
Rick

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 85

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice looking camera. Funny how "Kodak 35" can mean different things. Here's what I thought you were talking about. Very similar, but I think this one is a tad newer.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 212

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old 35 (no rangefinder)just like the one in Ricks photo and also the rangefinder model.
What really struck me with these Kodaks is the fact that the pressure plates in both my cameras are not black but shiny. Wonder how that would influence the images ? Normally one would suspect that this would cause stronger halos.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 111

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I recall, one of the Kodak slide films, I think Ektachrome, didn't like shiny pressure plates and that is when Kodak (and others) began to switch to the black pressure plate.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 81

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything without an anti-halation layer is going to get effected (I only learned this after having shot about 10 rolls of Lucky film) ;)

Hollenbj, your 35RF appears to be a post-war one with Anastar Lens in a synchromatic shutter. I have an earlier one with anastigmat lens in a Kodamatic shutter.

Here is my war-time Kodak 35 family (without the military one in the previous photo)
http://www.flibweb.nl/flibweb/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/Kodak35-01.jpg

And the two Signal Corps ones next to each other
http://www.flibweb.nl/flibweb/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/K35-02.jpg

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 86

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the Kodak 35 RF camera in the picture has a shiny "chrome" pressure plate. Funny, I didn't even notice it. I do recall reading a recent thread about this on Classic Camera Repair.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration