Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

That classic Agfa covering (Robusti?)... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » That classic Agfa covering (Robusti?) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Denverdad
Tinkerer
Username: Denverdad

Post Number: 15

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Each of the three Agfas I own - a Record III, a Speedex Special variant, and a Clipper Special - is clad in that same familiar black material that so many of the old Agfas came in. You know which one I mean - that black cloth-like material with the horizontal grooved texture, often described as having a herringbone pattern. I have to admit that I have developed something of a fondness for the look and feel of it lately (especially on my Record III which seems a bit softer than the others). To me it is just THE classic covering, a perfect match for the overall styling of so many an old Agfas!

It sure would be nice to replace it though, on cameras where it has gone ratty. Looking at a sample of the stuff close up, it seems to be fabric-based product, perhaps with a coating applied on the one side, into which the pattern is embossed. Does anyone know for sure? In my research, I recently came across the term Robusit to describe it [Edit: yes, I realize I misspelled it in the title!]. What exactly does this mean? Was it perhaps a trade name for the particular material of which it is made (my best guess given the capitalization), or perhaps just a just more common word in German for a particular type of cloth or plastic?

Finally, has anyone ever found a replacement material that even remotely has the look and feel of the original? I know, I know - I'm dreaming. But who knows! :-) There are a lot of these cameras around, and as such, it sure would be great if a place like Cameraleather.com offered a reasonable facsimile for this covering.

Jeff

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 212

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2012 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The closest material I have ever found was being used on outdoor equipment in particular, a picnic basket type thing and it was green/white striped. Aside from all that, I remember seeing old vintage luggage with a texture like this. If you are lucky, you may find a vinyl covered notebook binder with a similar covering.

Denverdad
Tinkerer

Post Number: 24

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the suggestions, Finnegan. In the mean time I have also discovered that Iskra cameras came with a similar covering - at least judging by the pictures I have seen.

Not that that really helps any. The more I think about it, a reproduction material is really what I am most interested in, as I don't think I would bother with something that is only somewhat similar. Not that I have anything against covering with different looking materials, mind you; it can be fun to create a new look! But it would be nice if we at least had the option of restoring the original apperance. One of these days I am going to drop Cameraleather a line to see if there is any chance for such a product in the future.

Denverdad
Tinkerer

Post Number: 25

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update: So I contacted Morgan Sparks at Cameraleather.com and this was his response:

Jeff,

Thanks for the inquiry. We don't have any plans at this time to
develop a herringbone leatherette. It's very expensive to develop a
custom textured material, and the only way we could offer it is if an
original manufacturer still has the metal matrix to emboss it. If I
come across such a thing, I will keep this pattern in mind.

Sorry I don't have a better answer!

Thanks,
Morgan Sparks

Oh well, I didn't really expect anything different; it was just a wild shot anyway.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 214

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Morgan just buys his covering materials from retail, wholesale, and online sources. He isn't big enough to custom order anything to be made from a manufacturer. Most of his leathers, etc., that he sells now can be found by searching the online bookbinder sellers.

Denverdad
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2012 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assumed as much regarding how he sources his materials. But still, I figured there was a better chance of him being able to convince a manufacturer to produce such a material, than of me doing so.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration