Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM10 focus screen dirt "behin... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Olympus OM10 focus screen dirt "behind it" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mindseye
Tinkerer
Username: Mindseye

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 04:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

h there, I am in the proces of restoring my Om 10 bodies, and have just replaced the light seals.
my lenses , viewfinder and mirror is cleaned and the front of the focus screen looks ok.

but I have some black specs ( from crumbling light seal) that appeared afterreplacig the light seal.

i am thinking some got "behind" the focus screen?
two questions really..
1)is it likely to cause problems with the images or just be annoying?
2)is it possible and worth taking the focus screen out to clean behind and replace it?

many thanks nik

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 198

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 05:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The specks will have no effect on the images.
I'm not sure about the OM10, but other OM bodies had interchangeable focus screens, so it may be easy to remove and carefully brush off the dust.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 214

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unlike the OM1 and 2, the focusing screen is not considered "user removable" on the OM10 but it is not difficult to remove for cleaning. The top front of the mirror box has a plastic cover that you can pry up (it is glued in place) which reveals a small screw to remove. The fresnel screen can then be dropped out after removing the small spring clip.

Mindseye
Tinkerer
Username: Mindseye

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good to know it wont effect the images.. but they are really distracting.
Brcamera or anyone else can you point me to diagrams/ picture/ video instructions on focusing screen removal and replacement?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration