Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikon Contina - I need all the h... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Zeiss Ikon Contina - I need all the help I can get « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anat
Tinkerer
Username: Anat

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.
I'm new to the forum and I need some help from you, experts.
Last week I was given an old Zeiss Ikon Contina.
The camera is very dirty and the lenses are blocked.
It doesn't close.
I know nothing on the mechanism of cameras.
Do you think that I can try to clean it and repair the lenses mechanism?

My goal is to sell it. Do you think it's worth it?
Thank you all
Ana

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 262

Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe it needs film in it to work. Bypass the double exposure prevention by clicking the shutter release at the shutter (the lever by the "o" in Prontor). I see the shutter is already cocked (the lever on top of the shutter). Better explanations are found in the manual at http://www.butkus.org/chinon/zeiss_ikon/zeiss_ikon_contina/zeiss_ikon_contina.ht m

Anat
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Finnegan.
I'll try and give feedback later.

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 75

Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure exactly what you mean by "the lenses are blocked". You squeeze the panels on each side of the lens to allow the front door to fold upward.

You can also bypass the double exposure prevention by twiddling the little gears under the frame opening in the direction of film travel with the back open while simultaneously turning the advance knob.

If you remove the front lens elements for cleaning the lenses and shutter, you will need to recollimate the lens unless you are very careful to note the exact point at which the front lens mount detaches.

This is a great little post-war camera designed by Hubert Nerwin. The 3-element Novar version is not likely to bring more than about $25 on eBay in good working order.

Anat
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Connealy.
I mean that I can't close the lenses' compartment.
As I told above, I know nothing about the mechanism of cameras and this one is so dirty that I'm afraid to force and damage it.
When I have a little time extra, I'm going to read tha manual and try to understand how the camera works.
Another question:
I think that one of the screws in the "under-side" of the camera is broken as it fell when I tried to advande the knob.
Here follows some photos:

If so, is it easily changed?
Thank you again.
Ana

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 76

Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The center disk in the advance knob is a retainer which unscrews in the normal direction. It is then possible to unscrew the advance knob itself by turning it in the clockwise direction. Taking off the two knobs on the bottom allows access to the advance and film counting mechanism. That should not be necessary unless you are experiencing some problem with the frame counter. If the counter is not working correctly, it is likely due to a small hair spring which can become displaced. If the counter is not malfunctioning, there is probably no good reason to take off the bottom panel of the camera.

Anat
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, February 11, 2013 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Connealy, the knob is screwed. No problem there. Only this small part of the knob just fell out. It looks like it's broken...
I just need to take some time with this camera. Everything is "blocked"...
Thank you for your help.
Ana

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 478

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anat, that looks to me like the retaining screw has been sheared off, and what fell out is the head of the screw. Other than that, I can't help as I've never had one of these to enjoy. Maybe someday.

PF

Anat
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Br1078lum,
as you say, it's only the head of the screw.
I think it's broken.
Do you think that it's worth to try to replace it?
Thank you
Ana

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 481

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gonna take some work, and a left-handed drill bit. You've said you don't know anything about camera mechanisms, so you would have to take it to a reputable shop. Lens cleaning and colimation, shutter cleaning and adjusting, a little bit of restoration on the leather coverngs, and that busted retainer on the advance knob. It will cost you more than the camera is worth (check valuation at http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/ ). Right now, it's a parts donor, unless you can find a junker one to get the retainer from. Check with Brcamera (a member here) to see if he has the part. It's a nice looking one though, from what I can tell from your photos.

PF

Anat
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"It will cost you more than the camera is worth"...
That is what I thought :-(
I don't think that it will get worst than it is right now so I think that I'll just let it be for the moment.

I got some other cameras, much older than this, that also need help but I think that those will need a more cosmetic restauration. I'll post some photos in a near future so you, experts, can give me your opinion.

Thank you very much for your help.
Ana

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration