Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Preparing Aluminum Body for Paint Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Preparing Aluminum Body for Paint « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Garyflorida
Tinkerer
Username: Garyflorida

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to paint my Signet 35 black. I have some phosphoric acid that Ive used to prep steel for primer. Will this work on aluminum? I dont want to locate and buy self etching primer if I can just use what I already have. I plan to airbrush with black semi gloss lacquer. Im also wondering how to paint the small lettering white after I have the parts painted black. How did they do that at the factory?

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 291

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just sand the aluminum with 400 grit sandpaper enough to give it a tooth and paint it. The epoxy paint I use sticks fine then.

Garyflorida
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what kind of epoxy paint do you use? Where can I get it? Is it Urethane two part or??

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 295

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Epoxy appliance paint. It's available at any hardware store and it is what is used to paint refrigerators and stoves. There's not a lot of choice in color, but if you like black, it works really well and dries hard as glass without baking.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 296

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few things though, if you use epoxy paint:
1. It takes two days to dry, which leads us to ...
2. Be sure to put the painted object in a place where no dust, bugs, and etcetera can land on it while it dries.
3. Be sure to mask the camera really well before painting it, because the paint will be harder than the metal and you won't be able to get it off, once it has dried.

Garyflorida
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2013 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nice. Thanks.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 300

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OH, I forgot to tell you how to do the lettering. For recessed letters, just dab some white paint on it and scrape off what gets outside the recesses with a squeegee. If the lettering is not recessed, you will probably have to use decals. Print up the decals, cut them out, spray them with a workable fixative (art supply store), stick them on and varnish the whole part.

Frank Wilson (Wolfmancameras)
Apprentice
Username: Wolfmancameras

Post Number: 12

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2022 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aluminum can be dyed using RIT DYE for clothes did you know? Battery acid with two electrodes are need along with a steel pail and a battery charger. Google for the detailed instructions. This method is used by the automotive gurus
FRANK

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration