Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Smokers cameras Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Smokers cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rtucker
Tinkerer
Username: Rtucker

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have picked up a couple of cameras that really smell of smoke, and I just cant get that smell out. One is an Olympus and the other a Crown Graphic. It kind of adds to the story of the Graphics life, but I would still like to remove some of that history. Any cleaning help?

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 94

Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please look up the archives; there are many suggestions. You may clean with petrol and let dry. Also clean with windex and let dry. Then store it in a chamber or box with Bicarbonate of Soda. It will absorb all the smell. You may also place it in sunshine on a window sill. Use a blower to dry when you clean with solvents or water based cleaners. These work well.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 202

Posted on Friday, March 29, 2013 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As someone who gave up about three months ago, can you send them to me so I can have a really good sniff?

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 107

Posted on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My experience with smoker's cameras is:
Get used to the faint smell. You can bring the level of scent down, but never, and I do mean never, eliminate that smell. My favorite Leica was once owned/used by a smoker. The smell changes character over 50 years, but I can still tell that it was tobacco smoke that lends that "fragrance" to the leatherette.

Vinegar will help bring it down. Wipe on the leatherette and then swirl around before wiping off. Repeat several times. No guarantee it will not damage really delicate leather coverings though! I've been able to bring the scent down to tolerable levels this way. But it's still plenty strong when I bring the camera up to my eye to make an exposure.

The previous post mentioned petrol. Whoa. Maybe. I always found gasoline to be pretty smelly in its own right. But maybe...

Baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) has been questioned or debunked as an effective odor remover. Darn.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 323

Posted on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What gives tobacco smoke that smell and makes it stick is the tar component. Remove it as you would any other form of tar. Naphtha, alcohol, or anything else that will remove tar should do it. Once you have it down to a very faint odor, you can try sealing the leatherette with a vinyl protectant to pretty much eliminate it.

If all else fails, and the odor is intolerable to you, you can always take the camera apart, scrub the thing down with naphtha, reassemble and releather it.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 324

Posted on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What gives tobacco smoke that smell and makes it stick is the tar component. Remove it as you would any other form of tar. Naphtha, alcohol, or anything else that will remove tar should do it. Once you have it down to a very faint odor, you can try sealing the leatherette with a vinyl protectant to pretty much eliminate it.

If all else fails, and the odor is intolerable to you, you can always take the camera apart, scrub the thing down with naphtha, reassemble and releather it.

Frank Wilson (Wolfmancameras)
Tinkerer
Username: Wolfmancameras

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2022 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a product sold online base in TEXAS and called VAMOOSE! I purchase a bottle of it a few years ago and it really works going by their directions removing the odor of smoke
FRANK

Frank Wilson (Wolfmancameras)
Apprentice
Username: Wolfmancameras

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2022 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

VAMOOSE! on AMAZON https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/D01000CA-1926-4EC4-BD2A-3F97152FD80F/?_encodi ng=UTF8&store_ref=SB_A02601642W8MMWWGOIY3O&pd_rd_plhdr=t&aaxitk=bf5dcf9d2627d06a 0e1e2fd055aedf7e&hsa_cr_id=9231162740201&lp_asins=B0011VXPO0%2CB0011W0UYC&lp_que ry=vamoose&lp_slot=auto-sparkle-hsa-tetris&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_ls&pd_rd_ w=TGhZt&content-id=amzn1.sym.53aae2ac-0129-49a5-9c09-6530a9e11786%3Aamzn1.sym.53 aae2ac-0129-49a5-9c09-6530a9e11786&pf_rd_p=53aae2ac-0129-49a5-9c09-6530a9e11786& pf_rd_r=5WW5DJG3DW0RT5WJG8D1&pd_rd_wg=Nle1S&pd_rd_r=7d33039e-0da4-40fb-a629-f928 73e8b755
FRANK

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration