Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Painted Stereo Brownie Bellows Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Painted Stereo Brownie Bellows « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 111

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some time ago, (Nov. 11th 2008 to be precise,) I posted a question concerning whether it would be blasphemous to re-repaint the bellows on my old Stereo Brownie. The bellows are shot... but sometime in the past, someone painted them black over the original red, probably in an attempt to fix light leaks. There was enough red showing around the edges to show that's how they used to be, and some of the black paint was slopped onto the wooden standard. I just needed approval...
ANYWAY... It took me awhile because I could never find the right shade of paint, and anything a bit "off" would be worse than nothing. Finally, I decided to try mixing some. After some hopeless throw-aways, I hit on success by mixing "Engine Red" and the duller "Tuscan Red." These are acrylic paints of the "Plaid" brand I picked up at WalMart. I mixed them in a baby food jar, knowing that if I hit it right, I wouldn't be able to duplicate it, so I'd make sure I had enough. I tested the results on a hopeless old Brownie Box, since it had a black background similar to the bellows. Comparing the dried color to the bellows on other Kodak cameras, I hit a nice match! Then, I realized that these old Brownie bellows would have been the duller burgundy color... the brighter red would be wrong. I picked up and emptied another jar of baby food, saving my "bellows red," just in case I needed it sometime.
On my second try, I pretty much duplicated the bellows red, and then slowly added some "Purple Pansy" until it hit the proper burgundy or maroon color, comparing it to some other early Brownies and Folding Pocket Kodaks. After a final test on my sacrificial Brownie, I carefully scraped the black paint off the wooden lens standard and painted my bellows.
I'm happy! They'll never be functional, 'cause they're just too worn out, but they're original and they look good. IF by some outside chance, I someday come across a hopelessly busted up Stereo Brownie with good bellows, I just might make a switch, but the chances of this happening are vanishingly small.
I'm gonna try and post a picture of both Brownies, but I'm not good at this stuff...Painted Bellows

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 608

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If all you're doing is a cosmetic restoration, there is nothing wrong with repainting the bellows. If you want to restore the functionality, you could always learn the fine art of bellows making. Here's a place to start http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/bellows.html

PF

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, Br1078lum! I've considered doing that... I once managed to rebuild some bellows that had become separated and all the little stiffeners were laying in the bottom in a heap. Building from scratch seems a little daunting, but maybe someday.
For now though, this old Brownie is a collector shelf queen... I have no plans on using it, and I kind of like having the original bellows from 1905 still part of it. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration