Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vintage Tripod for Exakta setup Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Vintage Tripod for Exakta setup « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike R.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I recently bought a vintage metal camera tripod and I can't find an ounce of information on the net about it. I got it to go with my Kine Exakta camera as part of a vintage camera outfit.

The tripod is all-metal with black painted legs and says "Tower" as well as "Made in Germany". The legs telescope and are round metal tubes. The feet are not plastic or rubber, but rather metal points that are somewhat claw-like. The top is small and circular with the screw mount in the middle of the circle. There is no control lever for the top. The ball at the top that aims the camera is locked in place via a screwing metal loop. Anyone familiar with this piece of equipment? It's in pretty nice shape and everything works well. It seemed to be a nice old piece of German equipment that would suit and Exakta setup nicely. Thanks for the help.

Brian Schall

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know anything specific about this tripod but 'Tower' was brand name for photo equipment sold by Sears, Roebuck & Co. in the 1950's and 60's. Named for the Sears Tower building.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspect that this tripod was manufactured by Bilora. Your description ties in nicely with their 1950/60 design of amateur tripods. Sears's order was probably of such magnitude, that the manufacturer was more than happy to stamp them with the 'Tower' brand-name.

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 05:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This kind of tripods was very common in Germany in the 1950s, my father had a very similar one which he used with his Agfa Silette. They were manufactured by many companies, once I received two tripods with very similar design which were manufactured in former east Germany.

Although Bilora probably was the biggest of these manufacturers there were many smaller ones which probably are unknown today.

Several TOWER branded cameras were manufactured in Germany, you can tell that from the german manufacturer's name on the lens. I remember that Iloca made some cameras for TOWER. Bilora also made cameras but in small quantities only and there was no reason to export them to US since they were crudely made.

Unclewiggley
Tinkerer
Username: Unclewiggley

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Sears 938-84041 tripod that needs the quick release plate that attaches to the camera. Would buy and old beat up one to just get the plate. This one is like brand new. Can anyone help? I called sears parts and they can't help.
Thanks

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 334

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should try http://www.tripodquickrelease.com/

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 170

Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tower was the Sears brand name for many items of photographic equipment. They sold a LOT of cameras and tripods under that name. However, Sears did not MAKE even one camera or tripod. Everything was made by German or American companies and stamped "Tower" instead of Balda, Agfa, Graflex or whatever it really was. If you can link us to a posted photo of your tripod, we can probably tell you what it is, but we need to see it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration