Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pliobond - UK equivalent? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Pliobond - UK equivalent? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone know if Pliobond has an equivalent in the UK?

It doesn't seem to be easily available round here. I have a tube of Evostik, but don't know how similar that might be.

Adrian

Davidritchie
Tinkerer
Username: Davidritchie

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrian, Pliobond is a contact bond type of cement. It is made by several companies and one of the common uses is for bonding formica to a substrate such as you may have in your kitchen or bath.You apply it to both surfaces and when dry to the touch, you place the two surfaces together and you will not be able to move them after they touch. Thus,"contact bond". I do not know the names that you have in the UK, but another which comes to mind in the US is DAP or Weldwood. I suggest you go to a hardware store with this info and I'm sure they will know what you are asking for. Good luck.

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 01:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evostik is a contact adhesive, but not all contact adhesives are the same. In fact there are several varieties of Evostik. I did a Google search and found a data-sheet for Pliobond, which says it is synthetic rubber based, with a ketone solvent, which certainly is nothing like the usual hardware-shop type of Evostik. Whether Evostik is suitable for such purposes as replacing shutter curtains etc I don't know, but I am very doubtful.

By far the strongest contact adhesive I have found is Scotch-Grip 1357. I bought a tube at an autojumble a few years ago, but having used it all, I found that it too seems to be unobtainable in the UK.

Davidritchie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrian, Steve is correct about the composition of Pliobond. It is based upon a blend of synthetic rubber and a resin. The solvents are generally a blend including ketones depending upon the manufacturer.As noted earlier if you explain to the hardware shop what you are seeking, they should be able to help.

Pete
Tinkerer
Username: Pete

Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can get Pliobond mail-order from Micro-tools in Germany:
http://www.micro-tools.de/english.htm

Steve_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 05:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately Micro-tools' Euro prices and postage are excessive, and if you are in Europe they won't let you order from the US!

Adrian
Tinkerer

Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I'm about to email Micro-Tools and ask about the likely postage rate, as they do not appear to be able to ship it by air. If it is not too obscene I'll go with that, otherwise it'll be a trip to the building wholesalers.

It's for re-fixing bellows, by the way, rather than shutter curtains. Whether that makes a difference I don't know!

Adrian

Rogprov
Tinkerer
Username: Rogprov

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately for those in UK this is a US site - but quite interesting :-)

http://www.thistothat.com/

Roger

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Getting closer - the smallest they sell is half a pint(!), but at that price if it is available in the UK...

http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productlisting.html?ProductLineID=12&VendorID=1 63&Tab=Products

Adrian

Davidritchie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrian, be careful. The vendor lists Pliobond 20 as a thermosetting adhesive requiring heat. This is NOT what you want. The Pliobond that you need is a contact bond adhesive based on polychloroprene and a resin in a solvent solution requiring no heat. Maybe the vendor also has the contact bond type.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 02:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh rats! This is the one the chap at DuPont suggested - good job you spotted that! I'll have to investigate further... I think they have three different sizes of the same product, but nothing else sharing the name.

Thanks for putting me right, could have been nasty!

Adrian

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 75

Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pliobond 20 is not 'thermosetting' in the UK definition of term. The product is a straight high solids - ketone based product. A read of the data sheets would indicate uses where heat application is just not possible - bonding non slip floor coverings, sealing drywall, sealing concrete and repairing car hoods (UK definition of hood) etc.It would appear the vendor is trying to indicate the product works by evapouration of the solvent and does not use an activator. Well that is my take on the information given - could be talking out my 'proverbial'.

If you are really stuck (pardon the pun) and do not want to use Micro-tools Europe - I do not find them expensive for those unobtainable items - call in at your local shoe repairer/cobblers and beg a little of his adhesive. If he knows his trade, he will have both single and two pack contact adhesives. Make sure you get the normal room temperature stuff, some repairers do use a genuine thermosetting/activated adhesive.

Davidritchie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrian and Glenn. Glad that Glenn has thrown some light on the subject. Contact bond cements based on chloroprene (neoprene) and a resin are sometimes mixed with an isocyanate in order to make a good bond in the shoe industry typically for sneakers. Bayer is, or was, the main supplier of this isocyanate. Adrian does not need a two part system, and the use of an isocyanate should be avoided because of toxicity.

Steve_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been taking a closer look at the data sheet I mentioned http://www.handlaidtrack.com/pliobond.php which gives quite a lot of information, and I'm sure that Glenn is right in his interpretation, and that Pliobond 20 is the right stuff. It does work as a contact adhesive, though it can be used in other ways.

Other variants mentioned are Pliobond 30 and 40, but these seem to be high solids versions for highly porous materials.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like Microtools - this stuff is six dollars in the US. Here's the email I get about getting it in the UK...

"Thank you for your enquiry

Pricing for a 1/2 pt tins of Pliobond 20 would be approx £28.00 each

The price is so high because the material is highly flammable and needs to be
shipped in Haz packaging.

We would bring in on one of our consolidations otherwise the haz freight costs
could top £100

Regards"

Flamin' Nora!

Adrian

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Posted on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Years ago Pliobond used to make a Latex based adhesive in ether solution.It was flexible even after drying and bonding and the stuck parts could be peeled off without damage. Today, Pliobond makes so many varieties of adhesives, many of which dry hard, like "quick fix" cement. Better to avoid them for cameras. May look for rubber solution that is used to fix bi-cycle tube punctures. They are Latex or Butyl based. Regards, sp

Norman
Tinkerer
Username: Norman

Post Number: 25

Posted on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about Copydex?

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 706

Posted on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are referring to the white latex based stuff, smelling strongly of ammonia - a definite NO! Very poor adhesion to non porous substrates and poor mechanical strength are just two problem areas, being water based does not help either.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 10

Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used silicone adhesive in this type of situation. You can even get it in black, it's the type of stuff used for sealing the edges of worktops etc but I've found it works well enough, given that it's not a contact adhesive and you have to find some way of holding the surfaces together while it sets, when it remains flexible.

Farside
Tinkerer
Username: Farside

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about Sikaflex, used for car trim in the UK for years? Sticks like pikeys to a giro.
I don't see it in stock, but they often have or had it in. There are other adhesives available from here. http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-304-adhesive.aspx

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 717

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, good old Woolies, not dealt with them for a long time - litre cans last bloody ages! The Alpha Thixofix is an ideal adhesive for our purposes, although there are other products available in small (read much cheaper)tubes that have the 'moveable' property. Just remember, automotive adhesives generally withstand high temperatures better than the usual consumer items. Useful for those of us who throw the newly restored classic into the glovebox, usually when even the mercury is boiling!

I would be very wary of using silicone sealants on cameras as mentioned in a previous post, these products release acetic acid during the curing process and can cause corrosion problems. Even if corrosion is not considered to be a problem, cleaning off any excess can be no easy task.

Foto_gaga
Tinkerer
Username: Foto_gaga

Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 04:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a source for the genuine PlioBond: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-building-epoxy/710503.aspx

Big_mac_90
Tinkerer
Username: Big_mac_90

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ref.Pliobond availability. I ordered two 3oz bottles +a 1oz tube on Sunday 18 Sept.from Micro-Tools Europe,the order was delivered Wednesday
21 Sept. postage cost was 5,95euro.! Pretty good service I would say.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration