Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Best Paint for cameras Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Best Paint for cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Myequation
Tinkerer
Username: Myequation

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure this has been asked many many times but I can't find info on the subject. I own several old cameras that are not worth much to collectors. I would never try repainting a leica or anything in that realm. I simply want to repaint some beaten up black camera bodies after I completely strip them down. What's the best spray paint on the market for this? Epoxy and auto paints sound good but I wonder how they will hold up with time? Has anyone tried this?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 110

Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does not really depend on the paint you use for the final top/colour coat, the wear characteristics are dependent on the primer system you use. Components stripped back down to the brass will need a good etch prime, if wear is going to be a problem.

I do not know where you are located, so giving specific names/manufacturers will not be relevant. What I will say; is that I have used various modern acrylic auto paints, to restore/paint a number of cameras. These include a number of Zorki 1 specials, that have seen a great deal of use. The etch primer/auto acrylic paint system has stood up well.

I have had good results with a commercial epoxy paint. The only trouble is that is is a 'high build' system and does not take that well to airbrush/small spray application techniques.

At the end of the day, it is the preparation that is the most important - get this right - and there is a good choice of paint systems available, for the likes of us.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also worth consideration are paints meant to be baked after application. The original version of Scalecoat paint for model railroads is this way, and it's quite tough if you bake it.

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just repainted the back of one of my OM 2s today. The edges of the backs and the window that you put the end of your film box in invariably get badly scratched.
I just used Duplicolor auto touch up spray paint in basic black. (No clear coat required type)
I feathered the edges of the chipped areas with 600 grit paper, gave it a good alcohol rub down to remove dirt, etc., and carefully masked off the leatherette with low tack masking film of the type used in air brushing.
The results are quite good compared to the way it used to look, and the paint dried quickly and was easy to use. As it is automotive paint, I'm certain it will be durable.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 59

Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The original paint is powder coat.

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm on day two of my new paint job as I described above and so far so good. I've been handling the camera a lot and the paint is there to stay I think.

Clintock
Tinkerer
Username: Clintock

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Olly-
did the Duplicolor paint have a similar flatness to the original Olympus paint?
I thought the automotive paints might be more glossy, like the glossy paint on an OM-2n for example.
I like the idea of using a Lacquer, so it can be touched up, unlike enamel, where touch up never works..

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used the Duplicolor on two OM 2 backs so far with great results. It does match the gloss quite well.(All my OM 1s and 2s are rather glossy in appearance.) And yes, the lacquer is much easier to work with, it dries in just a few minutes.
The color I used is, # 8800941 BLACK(M).

Ambrose
Tinkerer
Username: Ambrose

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It’s really good to know that your car’s engine is still well tuned n the problem is with its exterior. I will suggest you to get your car off the dents first n den get it repainted. For your car’s color selection I can suggest you a website from where I buy paints for my Lamborghini. It’s http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ I hope it’ll help u.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 483

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the last post for real?!! Somebody please get this into the trash can pronto!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration