Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss-ikon-nettar 515-2 leatherette Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Zeiss-ikon-nettar 515-2 leatherette « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 51

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a zeiss-ikon-nettar 515-2 in a very sad state. The aluminum has corroded and it's becoming powder in some places. The covering of the camera is a kind of leatherette made out of cloth coated with some kind of plastic finishing.

I would remove it and put new leatherette but the camera has on the leatherette engraved the ZEISS IKON logo in two places, the model and the serial number.

Anybody knows how can I unglue the leatherette in order to restore it? I've tried with a cutter and twizers and it's not possible. I need another non destructive method. Heat? Alcohol?

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 21

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had great difficulty removing the leather covering from a Zeiss folder, and the shellac-based adhesive proved remarkably resistant to organic solvent, which helped a little but not a lot. I ended up using a very sharp craft knife to prise it away a fraction of a millimetre at a time. At some points, the leather was so thin it just disintegrated, so that even when I got it all off (it took many days), its already-deteriorated condition was such that it wasn't worth putting it back again.

The camera had a terrible case of 'Zeiss bumps', so I cleaned these up, put a primer coat on, and am just looking for a source of thin leather to put my own covering back on. It means I forego the Zeiss logo, but as I'm only interested in the camera for using, not displaying, that doesn't matter to me. In fact, if I can find a coloured leather, I rather fancy a deep burgundy, I may put that on instead.

Freegan
Tinkerer
Username: Freegan

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pablomartinez,

If, as Alex states, it is a shellac adhesive I would expect gentle heat (no hotter than boiling water) to melt the adhesive.

Alex,

A product that you may find useful as a replacement for leatherette is a real leather product called a 'skiver'.

This is the top grain surface of a tanned and dyed sheepskin skived (or split) from the skin and glued to a fabric backing to impart strength as the bare skiver is fragile being less than a millimeter thick.

Their main use is in leather inlaid tables but should serve your purpose as they come in many colors.

You may have to approach a tannery or leather merchant to source one.

As I have been out of that trade for a few decades I couldn't hazard a price for a full-sized skiver but one whole one should provide enough for a good few projects.

Now for my problem.

I have a Zeiss Ikon Nettar compact folder that has no retaining screw for the film winding knob.

Could anyone advise me of the thread size and, ideally, where to source a supply.

I'd also like to find a repair manual or exploded diagram as the shutter seems to be also affected.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration