Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Wanted: New Canonet QL17-L Black Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Swap Zone » Wanted: New Canonet QL17-L Black « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dranav
Tinkerer
Username: Dranav

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm looking for:

New Canonet QL17-L (Black preferably)
http://tinyurl.com/3botb5

That's the one with battery check in viewfinder.

Greyhoundman
Tinkerer
Username: Greyhoundman

Post Number: 40

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A new one would be a miracle. They have not made any in decades.

Dranav
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure they haven't. That 's the name of the model:
"New Canonet QL17-L" as in, for instance "New F-1".

You should have check the link that I've provided before presuming that I'm lost in time and space. :-)
Here is another link wher you can learn about those:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/canonet.html

Regards

Greyhoundman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know all about them. I've been doing CLA's and selling Canonets for years.

Dranav
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, do you by any chance have one of these? It seems that this particular model (New Canonet QL-17L, as named by Canon; or whatever you call it) is pretty hard to find since it was in production for rather short time.

I own only SLR system (F-1N, A-1, AE-1 plus lots of lenses, filters...), and would like to add an unobtrusive street 'shooter' to my gear. By reading trough a lot of sources, I concluded that this Japanese version is what I would like to use. Should I simply give up in my search or for some other reason opt for G-III? What do you have to offer (in black finish) in this moment?

Regards

Greyhoundman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What you call QL17L are not rare here. Ebay has them often. They will described as just QL17. The GIII QL17 is the next improvement after this model.

Dranav
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was not after this kind of discussion at all, but I feel that I need to write this down in case somebody reads this thread and would like to learn something from it. Right now, it's a mess...

Here are official names (as Canon calls them) and some notes about them, as well as start of production of Canonet QL17 series:

1) Canonet QL17 (Mar 1965)
-first QL17, had 45mm lens (all other have 40mm f/1.7)

2) New Canonet QL17 (July 1969)
-40mm f/1.7 lens introduction, some weight and size reduction

3) New Canonet QL17-L (June 1970)
-same as New Canonet QL17, but with battery check button added (battery indication in viewfinder with lightmeter needle)
-this is the one I'm after

4) Canonet G-III 17 (March 1972 - 1982)
-production moved to Taiwan
-has battery check indicator lamp (LED, I think) on the back

So one should be careful not to mix QL17 with 45mm and one with 40mm lens. If I'm not mistaken all were produced in both chrome and black finish. All 40mm lens versions are reported to be equally good. G-III is easiest to find, since it was in production for almost 10 years. Black is rare in all versions.

Regards

Greyhoundman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 44

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

2 & 3 are the same camera. Both have a needle indicating battery voltage.
You will not see the "L" on any QL17.
But you look for what you wish. My 15 years of experience mean nothing.

Dranav
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From 'Canon Camera Museum'
1) http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1956-1965/1965_ql17.html
2) http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1966-1975/1969_nql17.html
3) http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1966-1975/1969_qd17.html
4) http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1966-1975/1972_netg3-17.html

Thread from classic camera forum on photo.net:
http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00I3ew
Scroll down to post from Sep 16, 2006 by Tony b. I don't believe that one would make this up.

I've found info about difference (battery check) between 2) and 3) on some Japanese web sites too. I know that "Luxury" model doesn't have "L" on the body. Obviously it's so rare that even you, with 15 yrs of experience didn't encounter one. And I'm trying to get a black one. Phew! I guess that I'll move on and get an G-III from ebay.

Thanks for help.

Regards

Dranav
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just realized what I wrote. It's late.

It's better for me that models w/o batt check are so rare, since I want one that has it (ie. Luxury model, the ones that you encountered). I've searched trough all ebay (international sites) and found two completed listings in France in last couple of months (ebay items: 320201856695, 180184945176). They're very likely just what I'm looking for, so with some patience and luck, I'll probably get one!

Regards

Twofast
Tinkerer
Username: Twofast

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canonet QL17 with a 40 mm 1:1.7 lens. Are you interested?

Jersievers
Tinkerer
Username: Jersievers

Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The battery check is not that great of a feature. With the whole mercury battery 1.33 volt thing, it is better to just get a voltmeter and check manually. I found the straight zinc air batteries with a rubber ring is the best. They run at about 1.38 to 1.40. I feel the little battery checker is just a false sense of security, the batteries are very in consistent.

In the GIII there is no auto lock on the meter and it has to be in auto mode for the meter to work. Thus it is important the meter is correct. Some more manual cameras, like konica auto s2 you can see the meter when in manual mode.

Thus, the New Q17 and the QL17 GIII are about same in my book, same auto load, only that the GIII would be newer and more likely to find a good copy with everything working well.

Dranav
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A sample of #2 model, one w/o battery check turned up on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150230077465

If someone wants to save pics or check for it's existence...

Regards

Tkbarry
Tinkerer
Username: Tkbarry

Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just found a QL17 1965 make. Does anyone know where, if possible, to find a battery?

Picker77
Tinkerer
Username: Picker77

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FWIW, I just bought a QL-17 (don't have it in hand yet) that according to my web research appears to be the earliest QL17 version made by Canon, and while not rare certainly seems to be rather uncommon. The Canon museum doesn't even have a photo of it in their QL17 archives. It has the words "Quick Loading" engraved below the CANON logo, and of course a 45mm 1.7 lens vice the 40mm of later versions. Search on auction item #150242001829 for photos. According to specs I dug up, this very early version is slightly larger (by 20mm) than the later "QL" or "GIII" versions. I haven't found any info on how many were made of this first run before Canon dropped the "Quick Loading" engraving and went with the newer stick-on ID. It looks to be in decent condition, it's a bit unusual to find a "first run" version of the QL17 series, and at the price, it was kind of hard to turn down. I'll soon know if I wasted twenty bucks. :-)

Picker77
Tinkerer
Username: Picker77

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More QL-17 "Quick Loading" version (I call it "Version 1A") comparisons:
140mm x 79mm vs 120mm x 75mm for the three later (2,3 & 4) versions. The "1A" and "1" versions seem to be the same size - it appears all they did is drop "Quick Loading" from the front and add a "QL" nameplate after the first production run. Ya gotta love the marketing department.

830g(!) vs 620g - a hefty 34% difference.
0.7x VF magnification vs 0.6x (to compensate for the 45mm lens) - a small thing, but for my old eyes, the larger the better!
Wider metering range (EV 2.5-19 vs 3.5-17)
Lower ISO range (25-400 vs 25-800)
Filter size 55mm vs 48mm - the 45mm lens, in additional to apparently being all metal, is definitely noticeably larger.

It appears the 20mm wider body, combined with the larger/heavier all-metal 45mm lens, made a lot of difference in weight compared to 40mm versions. It remains to be seen if the extra metal and heft are any advantage, although I'm pretty sure I'll like the .7x VF better than a .6x version. I suppose now I have to invest in a couple of Wein Cell batteries, which means my $20 camera is now a $30 camera. Rats.

Canonet_giii
Tinkerer
Username: Canonet_giii

Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 3rd Generation of the Canonet G-III in BLACK can be found a few times a year sold by likaleica & hink2u on EBAY Both sell these G-III in chrome & BLACK with 30 day warranties Rebuilt

Sangetsu
Tinkerer
Username: Sangetsu

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These cameras can also usually be found at the eBay store called Japan Camera Exchange, which I own. I sell a dozen or so black QL17 cameras each year, and have 2 available now.

Frank Wilson (Wolfmancameras)
Tinkerer
Username: Wolfmancameras

Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2021 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My old eBay sellers name was Likaleica until I got hacked. Install a 1N1157 Schottky diode just above the meter online with the blue wire and you can use the EVEREADY 357 silver oxide battery. Just make sure the striped side of the diode faces towards the battery to operate correctly. I have installed 100s of these diodes allowing very happy customers

Frank Wilson (Wolfmancameras)
Apprentice
Username: Wolfmancameras

Post Number: 25

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2022 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can take your silver plated parts off your G-III and have the plating removed then have it powder coated which will have a dull sheen. The cost will be enormous as you may know. Or else do it yourself with the instructions shown if you Google it
FRANK

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration