Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Wanted: Cocking lever for Argus C3 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Swap Zone » Wanted: Cocking lever for Argus C3 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 115

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I recently got that great American Classic - an Argus C3 but the shutter cocking lever is missing.
So to have this otherwise nice camera working again I'm in need for either the lever or an idea for a workaround.
THe camera is a medium old one, I'd say with the 3 parted back.
On the shaft where the lever should sit the left hand threaded nut is still there.
So if any one has a spare lever please let me know details.
Thanks in advance and regards
Martin

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 23

Posted on Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a silver one in good shape. Looks like it needs a set screw which I don't have, but you are welcome to it.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 130

Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,
thanks a lot for your kind offer. Yes, I am very interested in having the lever. I sent you a PM with my details and also a proposal on how to cover cost.
Thanks again and best regards
Martin

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 136

Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

the part arrived safely. Thanks a lot. All I need to do now is mounting it and give the C3 a try.
Best regards
Martin

Connealy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 25

Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to hear it. Post some pictures somewhere we can see them. Not many C3 cameras have made it to that side of the pond.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 139

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I will - found some 12 exp. film - ideal for testing.
Those cameras really seem to be rare here so I'm sure I will get some looks when using it.
Pics to follow.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 260

Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You almost certainly will - I've got one of only two I've ever seen in the UK, and it does get attention when you use it - only my box brownies seem to be more noticed.

And, as an extra plus, ANYTHING you use after it will feel oh-so-ergonomically-designed!

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 140

Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ANYTHING - with exception of my Rollei 35 ;-)

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 180

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remembering that old post I finally finished the test roll in my Argus C3.
Thanks again Mike for your help. As suggested by you here are some pics from it - made in Autumn 2009 and Spring 2010. Camera seems to work very fine, so have a look at some pics from Austria mad with an American Classic.
http://martin_siegel.public1.linz.at/Argus_C3/

Regards
Martin

Connealy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 30

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm pleased I was able to make a small contribution to the resurrection of the C3. You must be really pleased to see such quality coming from that funny old camera.

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 72

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The old Argus C3 DID have the potential to take good photographs, as your pics prove... Very nice! I've also seen much worse ergonomics. (For me, the ultimate in bad ergonomics was the original Perfex Speed Candid. It must have been designed by space aliens with an extra finger to press the shutter release on the FRONT of the camera.) The appearance of the old brick sort of grows on one too... :-)

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 181

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone who took a look. And thanks as well for the comments left. Pics are, of course, made not mad (at least I hope that).
The camera is really rarely seen here and people sometimes stop and look.
Next thing to do is try the lens on an enlarger.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 285

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting. Among other things, this thread shows some of the differences between camera collecting and using on each side of the pond. Here (US), Argusii brickensii are thick upon the ground; one can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. That makes me pretty much ignore them when I encounter them, although I do have one in my collection. (That, plus the fact that, let's face it: they're just plain ugly.)

But another interesting aspect to this is the matter of otherwise marginal, overlooked, cheap cameras taking decent pictures. (The great majority of them using triplet-type lenses, I'd wager.) Which brings up the question in my mind: what cameras of this type (old, dusty, forgotten) do not take good pictures?

My guess, though I can't prove it, is that there are actually very few cameras that are not capable of taking very good photographs, given at least minimal competence on the part of the person behind it. Meaning that the optics in most cameras, when correctly focused, are about as good as, or perhaps better than, the film used to record the scene.

Francis_in_vt
Tinkerer
Username: Francis_in_vt

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Martin;

There is a very active ARGUS collecting group at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arguscg/

There are numerous members in the UK, Europe Africa and even Australia.
I am getting ready to attend the Ninth Annual ACG gathering in Eden N.C. the 13th to the 16th of May.

Francis in VT

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 182

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@ David
You're certainly right - The Brick is rarely seen here nevertheless it is piece of camera history. Millions of memorable moments have been recorded with those cameras. They were trusty companions of thousands and thousands of families in the US and I believe you will always find someone whos says on seeing it "Oh, my grandfather had one too" or "It was my first camera, got it from my dad." Maybe something like the Volkswagen Beetle (old one) is to us here in Austria and Germany. So that's why I wanted to have one.

@ Francis in Vermont(?)
Sorry, I'm not so good with abbrevations of US states.
Thanks a lot for linking to the yahoo group. I already joined but still have to write an introduction. A vivid group as it seems. So thanks again.

Best wishes
Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration