Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Wanted: Compur-Rapid Slow speed escap... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Swap Zone » Wanted: Compur-Rapid Slow speed escapement module « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tylerwebb
Tinkerer
Username: Tylerwebb

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am in need of the Slow-speed escapement module, or at least 1 component of the module. I have a 1934 Welta Perfekta in nearly perfect condition, except for 1 minuscule tooth on the Coiled gear of the slow-speed escapement module. It works OK at most speeds, but 1/2 and 1 second slip past at about 1/100th.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4773528712_0e9e6c620d_b.jpg

Does anyone have an old Compur-Rapid shutter that they are parting out?

I am willing to buy a crusty old broken camera on ebay to get the part, I am just wondering if there is a list anywhere with camera's containing the compur-rapid shutter? Any suggestions for the most common cameras containing this shutter which might have a compatible escapement module?

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 332

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, looking at the image at http://www.tlr-cameras.com/German/slides/Welta%20Perfekta.JPG I can see the Compur shutter is a spitting image of those on prewar Kodak Retina cameras like the Retina 1. Not sure they are the same size. Looks like it. Retinas usually have f3.5 lenses and yours is a f3.8 so it probably is the same size shutter.

There are hundreds of other cameras using Compurs. It may be an old Rolleicord has what you need also.

Tylerwebb
Tinkerer
Username: Tylerwebb

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2760/4334743445_8c4fb6197f_o.jpg

This isn't my photo, but identical to my camera (although mine is in better shape cosmetically)

It is actually a f:3.5 lens. Its a 75 though, whereas the kodak is a 50 I think?

There is actually a Kodak Retina 1 on ebay right now for $5, its in really crusty condition but I think I will try to buy it since I assume the escapement should be retrievable and cleanable, and I don't expect the price to go up much. It does look the same from what I can tell.

Thanks Tom.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 333

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, ok, thought you had the Tessar lens in that. The Tessar is f3.8 The Xenar and Trioplan are f3.5 Looking at your bigger pic. makes me have second thoughts about the shutter being the same as the Retinas. In any case, Compur shutters are common among old cameras so if you find a working one you can just swap shutters then transfer lenses and aperture scale.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration